• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identify odd Semiconductor Logo (square with N or Z?)

tejones777

Can anyone identify the attached logo? It's on a 1950's or maybe early 60's transistor, and I can't figure out what it is.

Seems to a Z or an N inside a square. The part is a 3-lead metal can, like a transistor, and is labled NS747 and 352 (which I thought could be a date code, but 1952 is a bit early for a transistor like this.

Anyone recognize this manufacturer? It should be American, as it was in military equipment.20221217_190000.jpg

I thought of Zenith too. They did make early transistors, but I can't find any evidence of a Zenith logo like this on any vintage parts.

I'm thinking it's an "N" rather than a "Z" as the longer axis of the letter is normally vertigo, suggesting a N. But I can't find any examples of "N" or "Z" logos anywhere like this. Even though this is out of some 1950's military equipment, it's from the constant temperature oven for a crystal oscillator reference, and that could have been a later replacement module, so maybe this is some much later transistor, and "N" may even signify a non-USA manufacturer.

But thanks for the try!

- tj.

Gosh, asking Jack Ward is a great idea, but I actually have sent him two emails over the last 4 days, and he hasn't responded to either yet, so I'll give him a few days, before I ask him a new question. But it seems like he's the best guy for vintage/early transistors anywhere. That semiconductor museum is an amazing resource!

Actually, they all have cutt-off corners, so doesn't really make a full 4-sided figure.

In the attached picture, it's actually the same specimen, but they all have the "incomplete square" with the corners not really matching up. if you orient it so it's a "N" instead of a "Z" the left and right corners are usually knocked off. I have several of these. And in each case, the markings don't completely close. I suspect since they were part of the same "lot" they were marked by the same time, and it may be the same defect of the stamper.

20221217_185909.jpg

That was my thought, but then it doesn't look much like any NS logo I've seen over the years. But it could be a very early version of the 1969 one you show.

I realize this is old but if you haven't figured it out yet you could throw it up on the electronics stack Exchange and see if somebody there has the answer. The other thing that might help is to know what kind of a device it is or what type of circuit this is used in. If it's something more esoteric then the manufacturer may be related to that use. I take it trying to just look up the part number hasn't helped you?

Back