• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identify terminals in Brainstorm

Mr.Amiga500

Experienced Member
For years, I've been trying to identify some terminals seen in Brainstorm. Here are some screenshots: (taken years ago using my Amiga 500)
brainstorm1.jpg

brainstorm2.jpg

Can anybody identify them? (I love the keyboards!)

There's also a pretty neat portable (luggable) in the movie, but I think it's just a mock-up, not a real computer.

Nobody can identify them?

(I admit it's hard to see them clearly, but it's the best I could do with an A500... and the horizontal line distortion is caused by damn DVD copy protection.)

Here's another...

Love the flashing yellow light in the lefthand corner when Mike breaks in using "Brainstorm" as the password.

brainstorm2.png

brainstorm.png

My first impression is that these have the look of HP terminals, but that's just a gut feel.

Since these are obviously operational and nearly new for 1983, are there any screen credits that might offer a clue?

My first impression is that these have the look of HP terminals, but that's just a gut feel.

Since these are obviously operational and nearly new for 1983, are there any screen credits that might offer a clue?

The movie was actually made in 1981 - then delayed for 2 years after Natalie's death.

The terminals are colour, which I think were pretty rare in 1981.

I thought maybe Burroughs, too, but the monitor clamshell is wrong. Could be Tek graphics terminal; they had them in 1981 (long personal story about dodging bullets). There's a 1981 Tek catalog on bitsavers, but I don't feel like downloading all 250MB and leafing through it.

Back