• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help: Need to read 5 1/4 inch floppies

markb1000

I have some old 5 1/4 floppy discs that I need to read as soon as possible.

Is there anyone out there who has an old computer that will read these discs -- preferably in the Baltimore (where I live), Washington, Philadelphia, Wilmington area? Alternatively, I could ship the discs to you, and you could email me the files. Willing to pay you for your time.

(I do have an old 5 1/4 floppy drive. My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600. Someone told me that if I change the bios on the computer, the 5 1/4 floppy drive would work (I tried it without changing the bios and it did not work). But I have not been able to change the bios (someone on the Dell Forum told me that could not be done. I am not at all sophisticated about this kind of thing.))

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Your modern Dell might not support a floppy drive that old in BIOS. If that is the case, I would find an older machine to use, or get somebody else to do the data conversion. So keep looking for that kind soul in your area.

I am located in Northern NJ. If noone else contacts you, drop me a PM. I can get you my address and have you mail the disks. I can then email them back to your, or send you a CD or 3.5" disks.

I know some people in your area and have forwarded on your message.

Kelly

Back