• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help needed re Apple Disk I/O Card

Drken

Experienced Member
I just got in a large lot of computers & cards and several of the Apple Disk I/O cards have had their cables ripped off. I need to know the name of the type of connector (5 x 4) that is used on these cards to affix the cable to the card, and where I can purchase them. I've just spent several hours scouring Jameco and Mouser, but not knowing the name of the type of connector used led me nowhere fast.

Any help could be much appreciated.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

3M 3422-0000T maybe?

Mouser has that part in stock for $7.23 each.

Last edited:
You referring to that dumb black pin block?
unidisk5card.jpg

-snip. I don't know what I am saying.-

Last edited:
If the original cables were just ripped out, wouldn't it make more sense just to use the old cable if you have it, neatly trim the end, and then re-crimp it ? Unless you're missing the top, of course.
patscc

3M 3422-0000T maybe?

Mouser has that part in stock for $7.23 each.

Thanks much! That seems to be the part, although I am always hesitant to order something without seeing an actual photo of the part. And Mouser is quite high on their prices, but then again, when all other avenues fail, they are the place to go usually. Again, thanks much for finding the part. I only need the top half of the connector, but will need to purchase the entire connector. I bought a lot of Apple IIs (4x4x4 pallet of systems & drives) and several of the drive controllers had their cables ripped off the card for whatever reason.

If the original cables were just ripped out, wouldn't it make more sense just to use the old cable if you have it, neatly trim the end, and then re-crimp it ? Unless you're missing the top, of course.
patscc

Would if I could but no job is ever easy! The cards came without the cables so I need to get the top portion of the connectors and make the cables.

You referring to that dumb black pin block?
unidisk5card.jpg

They're just low profile 90 degree angle sockets with a strain relief. They are a one piece deal and ahve to be done when the cable is assembled.

Actually, they are 2-piece connectors, and you can pry up the top with a flat-blade.

Found several places selling them, but the minimum order for many is 500 units, and at several dollars per, I simply don't have that kind of money to throw away! But I did find Powell has them for $4.25 each, and no minimum quantity order, so I'll probably go with them. Nearly half the price of Mouser.com.

You should pry up the lid and see if the piercing pins are still in good shape, since then you might be able to get by with recrimping the flat ribbon on the IDC pins. Desoldering the whole bottom part looks to be a pain.
patscc

Back