• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help on Using Mega 512 Z-80 Computer

HKG

Hi,

I have this mystery system which I cannot find any info on. The only hint of its existence online that I could find was an eBay listing for the motherboard. The front panel says it is a "MEGA 512," while it is called "Super Computer by Mega" according to the motherboard. I was able to interface with it using my Kaypro II with the term software running at 9600baud. It appears to run some sort of monitor program. I wrote down the commands I was able to find:
Code:
B - Seeks top 8" floppy drive
D - dumps memory (can take args to specify location ex: D8500 displays memory starting at 8500)
E - Unsure of what it does. It displays the following msg: Y/N This will overlay RAM from E800
G - Runs program at specified addr (needs args to work. ex: G8000 runs program at location 8000)
I - not sure
J - Resets system. Occasionally makes computer freak out and spam "Parity Error" a bunch of times
S - Modifies memory starting at specified location (ex: S500 will modify memory at addr 500 and will continue to increment to the next location until user presses Esc)
X - not sure

Here are some images of the system (in no particular order): https://imgur.com/gallery/WLVomsh

Here is what I want to do that I am currently unable to:
-Boot off 8" floppy drive. I have a ton of 8" floppys with CP/M on them, but I am unsure if they go with this system. There were many other S-100 systems that used 8" FDDs that it could go with, but one of them has a program called Modem 7 on it. The Mega 512 is the only system with a DB-25F port labelled "Modem." Confirmed with other person who got the rest of the systems that there was no modem installed in them, so it is possible that these floppies go with this system.
-Learn more about what exactly I have. This includes the history of the company and of course the system and what it might have been used for. It is clear based on the quality of work especially in the PSU section that the person who built these but a ton of work into neatness (wire lacing, etc.). This system also has a serial number in the thousands, which may indicate that a decent amount of these was made.
-Learn what I can even do with it.
-Confirm if this is the rack that the Cromemco Z-2 is often featured in. Of course, it has less rack units, but it appears to be identical otherwise. I took it partially apart and found a logo that indicated it is from a company called DCP. I could not locate info on this company.

Last edited:
Is this your post on Reddit? If not, maybe the poster has some information.

Based on the images, this looks like a one- or two-off prototype--note the uneven spacing of the holes in the base. Nice construction, however, with cable lacing (who does that anymore?).

Last edited:
Reactions: HKG
Is this your post on Reddit? If not, maybe the poster has some information.

Based on the images, this looks like a one- or two-off prototype--note the uneven spacing of the holes in the base. Nice construction, however, with cable lacing (who does that anymore?).

That is indeed my post. I should also mention that I have found the another motherboard for this system on eBay, but it was just the motherboard. I even asked the seller about it, but they had no idea about it.

Back