• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help setting jumpers on Hard drive controller

gleegum

Hello guys,

I want to install an ST-238R Hard drive in an IBM 5160.
I got this machine in a non working state, and with the help of this forum I was able to repair it (shorted cap).

Now the machine is working fine, floppy drive is ok.

It came with the hard drive mentioned above and a WD1002S-WXA2 controller, I'm not sure if the drive is working fine as it has some crack on the front flex cable, the tracks are too small to test continuity.

Now I'm not sure how to set the jumpers on this board.
I followed the instructions for installing the drive and set it to 'Drive Select 2', as I have a twisted cable.
Then I don't know how the jumpers on the controller should be set, I've tried some configs but I'm not totally sure.

Then I proceed to load MSDOS3.3 and run DEBUG, then G=800C:5 and I'm presented with the controller utility. I hit 'y' and then the drive light up the LED and start to make noises as it's formatting, but I left the machine for an hour and it keeps 'formatting' (I don't know how long it should take), and it's stuck on this screen:

IMG_0774.jpg

According to this site, I have a 013 BIOS, so i've closed pins 3&4, and I've also tried pins 1&2.

bios-v.jpg

There's no other pins on the controller except for a jumper that chooses between 16 or 8 heads (see pic below).
Here's a diagram showing the pins I've closed on the controller.

config-jumpers.jpg

The ST-238R info says it's a RLL drive, has a capacity of 32mb, 4 heads, 615 cyls, 26 sectors per track.

Any ideas?

IMG_0768.jpgIMG_0769.jpgIMG_0770.jpg

WD1002S-WX2 is MFM
ST-238R is designed for RLL

You can use them together, but with MFM enconding, ie. 17 sectors per track, and total capacity about 20 MB.
SW1-6 should be open.

We need to see the crack in that front flex cable. It might be fine, it might not.

These are the best photos I could get, the flex looks pretty damaged, with the naked eye it didn't seem that bad.
Hard to repair right?

flex-1.jpgflex-2.jpgflex-3.jpgflex-4.jpg

Hard to repair right?

If your really good with a soldering iron, you might be able to bridge the traces in the cable for a temporary fix (such as retrieving files from the drive), but to use the drive itself for more than just a few minutes, you'd have to completely replace the cable (if that's even possible).

I see, the traces are too small for my sight to join together. Another drive that goes to the non working bin.

Thanks

Keeping them in a bin is a good idea - next time you find an ST225 or ST238 with broken heads or worn out bearings you'll be able to swap the boards over on to this and possibly have a good working drive (without any soldering work).

Back