• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with jumper for DTK PII-151B FD card and IBM 5150 64-256KB MB

KLund1

Veteran Member
I have this card
and a IBM 5150 64-256Kb MB. The MB boots fine. I do get a 131 error, but I am using a modern PSU without -5v
I can not get the FD to boot.
I using known good Teac FD-55BR drives, and good cables, and disks
I have the MB switches set for a single drive for testing.
There are a lot of jumpers on the DTK FD card. I am unsure about what most of them do. I have it set for a 360Kb drives on JP3.
I reseated the DTK bios chip and cleaned the card edged.
The drives clicks at power up. The DTK board displays a boot message and the drive initializes. There is slight pause 1.5 seconds perhaps, then the system drops to BASIC.
The other jumpers currently set are
JP1 1,2 closed
JP2 1,2 closed
JP3 A,B,C,D closed
JP4 A, C closed
JP5 Closed

Could some of you smart people see what might be wrong?
Thanks

You're using this with a single 360K A: drive?
Then leave JP5 open; the 5150 BIOS should see this as a plain unvarnished FDC. Make sure that you have the proper cable (i.e. the twist before the drive).

Chuck(G) Thanks
I made a small but important typo. The FD is a Teac FD-55BV not BR. This is a 360Kb drive. It too has many jumpers, but boots as is with 286 clones, to PIII's.
Removing JP5 get no response from the system. No initialization after POST or FD bios message. The MB jumps directly to BASIC.
I was using RUDES (?) & SuperSoft 1.2 diagnostics from your site. It show a "PASS" on FD controller with JP5 closed, but fails on the Read test.

I have that board also.

The National Semi 8473 is one of my favorite FDCs--can do FM read/write as well as writing 128-byte sectors in MFM.

Then leave JP5 open; the 5150 BIOS should see this as a plain unvarnished FDC. Make sure that you have the proper cable (i.e. the twist before the drive).
Removing JP5 get no response from the system. No initialization after POST or FD bios message.
Odd. If removing JP5 disables the card's BIOS, why did the card's BIOS still display a message !

Modem7, I did not get the bios message when JP5 was open. Perhaps I was unclear in my previous post, sorry.

Chuck(G) I'll pull the chip when I get home and report back.

Don't bother--if there's no message when JP5 is open, it's working as it should.
Since the drive motor doesn't spin when the system boots, this is not a good sign. The 8473 doesn't use external buffers--connections go straight to the drive.
A passing thought, however--may we assume that your 360K drive has the proper terminator installed?

I am such a dope!!
I had SW1-1 ON !!! NO floppy attached to system !!!!
I switched to off and the DTK card is good. !! In fact I checked several FD cards I had been tested with, (thinking they all could have gone bad) But they all work great.
I was getting frustrated with this seeming simple problem and so I put it aside for a few days.
I put the board on the bench today but had it oriented differently because of other things laying around. For some reason this made me double check all the switches.
Any Duaahhh sw1-1 was wrong right off bat!

ALL good now.
I still appreciate all the help you both always provide!!
Thanks

ALL good now.
Good to hear, but there had to have been something else going on as well (during this thread).

Background: On an IBM 5150 motherboard, switch SW1-1 does not control/disable/enable hardware. It is simply a switch that can be read by software, and the POST in the IBM 5150 BIOS reads that switch. If the POST reads the switch as ON, it believes that no floppy drives exist, and accordingly, skips the floppy drive test (the '601' test), and later, does not attempt a boot from floppy.

At post #3, you wrote, "I was using RUDES (?) & SuperSoft 1.2 diagnostics from your site. It show a "PASS" on FD controller with JP5 closed, but fails on the Read test."
I knew that by "RUDES", that you were referring to Ruud's Diagnostic ROM (RDR).
- RDR does not call the initialisation code in BIOS expansion ROM's (such as the one on the subject card); and
- The position of motherboard switch SW1-1 does not impact on RDR's floppy read test, in any way.

So, at the time of post #3, something other than switch SW1-1 was resulting in the fail of RDR's floppy read test.

Back