• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Help

amy

Can someone please help me how to describe how a database of known problems may be compiled and how it would be utilised.

Vlad

First, we don't provide homework help like this and How on earth is this a Hardware question?

I have a feeling this will dissappear once Mike logs on next time, Vlad's feelin lazy......

-VK

Vlad

That would be Fuzzy Logic, in AI the database is usually the "memory" of the AI construct. At least in the ones I've delt with anyway. I almost deleted it, but I was going to let Mike or Erik deal with it since we seem divided. o_O

-VK

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
That would be Fuzzy Logic, in AI the database is usually the "memory" of the AI construct. At least in the ones I've delt with anyway. I almost deleted it, but I was going to let Mike or Erik deal with it since we seem divided. o_O

-VK

Mebbe I'm thinking too vintagely (is that a word?). Some of the old-skool 'Expert Systems' (early attempts at AI) would consult a separate database, IIRC.

--T

modem7

Veteran Member
Homework

Homework

Yep. Sounds like homework to me. I think we're after a simple answer here.

The database could be computer based or paper based.
The database is compiled and utilised by database users in the following way:

As a database user is presented with a problem, they first search the database for the problem.

If they find the problem (i.e. a known problem), they can utilise the solution/s listed against that problem.

If they don't find the problem, they revisit the database after they've found a solution, and create an entry for that problem/solution. In this way, the database is slowly being compiled.

Also, had the problem been found in the database and the listed solution/s didn't work, the database user would normally revisit the database to add their solution to the problem. Again, the database is slowly being compiled.

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Homework answer:

Just like any real life situation, experience counts. A 'database' of prior problems and solutions is a proxy for experience.

For example, if you've been hit over the head with a hammer, your database in your head will automatically remind you to avoid the hammer next time.

Sorry Vlad, had to do that just to prove you wrong. ;-)

I've actually been busy hacking on my TCP/IP ...

carlsson

Veteran Member
If you compile something full of problems, you tend to end up with a lot of error messages and warnings from the compiler, no matter if it is a database or something else.