• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Helping someone restore apple IIe's systems

Patrick.B (TTR)

Experienced Member
Like the title says I have been requested to help someone with 2 apple IIe systems one seems an original system with 2 disk drives and a monitor, and another has another brand name sticker on it, but identical case to an IIe, anyways my question is; is there a listing of things to watch out for when trying to get one working/restored, I am familiar with 80 technology I can easily repair TRS-80 computers in the past this is not a question of being afraid but being learned with the computer system and what the experienced users may have to suggest to watch out for, this is pro-bono work on my part, he wants eventually after restoring other machines to set a children retro day at his store.

Any suggested documentation or technotes website would be appreciated

Note I already have the Iie technical reference and the Sams IIe Manual.

I don't have a ton of experience in troubleshooting Apple IIe's, so I'll let other folks with more experience chime in. Overall, they're relatively simplistic machines so I suspect your 8-bit troubleshooting and debugging from the TRS-80s will go a long way if needed.

The first thing to look out for / repair would probably be the RIFA capacitors in the power supply. For more detail, I would search the forums here (recent post), and take a look at YouTube. Lots of videos have been posted showing how to recap a IIe power supply. Here's one, specifically focused on the RIFA filtering caps.

If helpful, here's my list of IIe resources:

Attachments

• Apple2TechNotes1993.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Aside from the power supply the number one thing I've observed that fails on these systems is the RAM chips. Barring a reason not to these are the first things I check when troubleshooting and Apple II system.

Aside from the power supply the number one thing I've observed that fails on these systems is the RAM chips. Barring a reason not to these are the first things I check when troubleshooting and Apple II system.
Likewise. Moreso on II+ than IIe systems RAM wise, but often that's because the language card is more problematic on the II+ systems than the normal memory and 80 col expansion on a IIe. Personal experience there, YMMV.

IIe 80 column cards are good to keep around, especially if you spot ones that have all the RAM ICs socketed. The socketed ones are relatively common and a handy source of a matching set of RAM ICs for troubleshooting.

Fortunately Apple IIs are relatively simple with not many chips. If the machine turns on and responds, but has some artifacts or is glitchy, you can initiate the internal self test to see if the RAM is any good. Closed Apple + Open Apple + Reset will put the machine into self test mode. Alternatively, holding down both apple keys while powering on will also go directly into test mode.

If the machines have horizontal bars and no beep, it's likely the CPU is not working. Inspect CPU legs for corrosion. Clean if you need to, then spray some Deoxit on both the chip legs and CPU socket, then try again. If it still doesn't work, then the CPU might be bad.

Other than that, a logic probe might get you where you need to go. Since there are also relatively few chips, you can also swap chips around from a 2nd good Apple II as you probe possible bad chips.

Back