• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hercules / CGA / EGA monitors?

Svenska

Veteran Member
Hello,

I am not very experienced with very old parts, yet. So my question is: Is there any difference in Hercules (HGC), CGA and EGA monitors in terms of connection? Or can I just hook up some CGA/EGA monitor onto an old Hercules Mono graphics card and have it "work" ?

I think I could try out an old Schneider MM-12 (IIRC) monitor, but don't want to burn it on an HGC card. Once I had a similar monitor working on an OTI-VGA card with both 9-pin and 15-pin connectors.

Regards,
Svenska

No. Never jack-in a color monitor to a mono card. The reverse may or not be true though. Most (all?) EGA cards will run TTL Mono monitors. CGA will only work with CGA.

--T

A Hercules card can only work with a monochrome TTL monitor. A CGA card can work with either a CGA or an EGA monitor, and an EGA card can work with a CGA monitor or an EGA monitor, but you will lose the 350-line modes.

The Schneider MM-12 (again, iirc; have to check next week) was only monochrome (black/orange), although I don't know if it's a true CGA or EGA monitor or not. And I know I had it running on an old OTI VGA (still have that card), but cannot remember much more. That was when I still had my old 286. Now I've got a different one (using SIPPs instead of SIMMs, so I had to solder a lot...)

So I cannot hook this monitor onto a HGC. :-(
Then I'd have to find some HGC card and an appropriate monitor.

Thanks for your help.

So far,
Svenska

Back