• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Here's another project proposal: an 8bit ISA über sound card

Why 24 MHz? Good grief, 32-bit MCUs have been running at least at 80MHz or faster for some time now. How about one of the 64-pin PIC32 controllers? 5V-tolerant inputs, lots of DAC pins.

There are literally a bewildering number of choices, particularly if you include DSP-specific devices.

I would think either a asic or programmable logic chip with an emphasis on having fast mutiply-accumulate logic would be best suited to the task. A PICdsp, TMS320/C64x, or FPGA with DSP blocks.

I'm currently looking for ways to do basically the same thing as this thread is about! I'm relatively new here, so I don't know much about how this works yet, but I will soon! Currently I'm working on making a Square-Wave generator Soundblaster compatible ISA board. Looking for pinouts and parts and whatnot currently. I'll try and post updates somewhere whenever I get to that point!

I haven't been on this forum in quite a while. Cool project, FAMICOMASTER! :) I know it's been almost a years since your response, but I'm curious: have you been successful in making such a card?

Back