• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi everyone !5160 reformatting hard disk

cards

cards

How do you feel about pulling some of the other cards out of there, and taking the system to a more basic configuration to try and figure the problem out ?
patscc

I was about to suggest the exact same thing yesterday until Chuck(G) made the comment about dos was loaded and trying to read (command.com, I would bet money). So, the old pulling cards etc. seems like to not be required.

We need more info than "nah, didn't work" What didn't work? Making another copy of the boot disk on another machine? Cleaning the heads? Rubbing your head and patting your stomach?

i appreciate the help

i appreciate the help

I was about to suggest the exact same thing yesterday until Chuck(G) made the comment about dos was loaded and trying to read (command.com, I would bet money). So, the old pulling cards etc. seems like to not be required.

We need more info than "nah, didn't work" What didn't work? Making another copy of the boot disk on another machine? Cleaning the heads? Rubbing your head and patting your stomach?

I checked the dip switches on the motherboard it was not that i will be pulling the other cards tonight and checking again i will update you later actually i will be patting my head rubbing my belly pulling cards playing guitar singing all whilst gargling vodka and soda water ( and spinning a basketball on my head in perfect balance of course) LOL:p

Sorry AJ, I can see from the ebay pics that you did end up with a complicated mess. Was a chain of unfortunate circumstances. I really am sorry we weren't more help!! I can see from the pics that one 5160 has a 360K drive, while the other one is likely the 1.2MB drive. And you have only a single 3.5 drive which doesn't help either. I assume you have a computer dude friend that "does" ebay. Seems strange that he would put up pics that show the computer booting up properly???? Anyway, I hope the "friend" knows how to park the hard drives BEFORE shipping them out. Otherwise, the heads will bounce up and down on the recording surface, permanently damaging the hard drive, during shipping. I guess I don't need to apologize a 3rd time ;)

Edit: Oh, maybe you are the " ebay seller dude"?? If so, I hope my fellow forum members will CHIME IN as to if PARKING THE HEADS is absolutely required. If you can't see video on the one and the other won't boot properly, going to be very tough to run a park program.

Ok, apparently AJ got exhausted by the experience and put them up on ebay. That Chuck Magee guy went ahead and purchased both of them. It is clear that if you can't get the machine booted up, you can't run park.com or autopark.com or anything.com. I told him to disconnect the drives and put soft packing material around each one. The idea being to protect them from being tossed into the truck! It's the only course of action I could come up with. There didn't seem to be any jumpers to enable a parking function in hardware. I hope they (the beloved ST-225s) survive the experience. If not, I have more in a drawer. I know, they are getting hard to come by but I don't seem to be able to "will" the heads into a parked position for shipment. Where is Hollywood when you need them? (Snicker, as in that current movie "Push").

Back