• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hoarding... & today's salvage

JDT

Veteran Member
I *AM* a hoarder, specifically of old computers & parts.
In the last few years, working for my current company, the IT dept knows to bring anything they are getting rid of by my cube to see if I want it. And they do. Laptops & Servers mostly, A year ago I actually went down in my dungeon (basement) and loaded up the back of my van with a whole slew of "older" servers and machines I only kept to save them from the scrap yard. I never played with them, I didn't even really have any interest in them other than saving them from the garbage. I thought I was over that.

IT retired 5 servers this week, 2x 4U dual dual-core opteron units with 16 drive bays and a SL of ram. 2x 4U SR2400 Intel servers, dual s604 XEONs and 8gb of ram 6 or 8 slots for drives and a single SR1425BK1 1U server.

My eyes glazed I'm sure, it was like Christmas... and my Birthday... all rolled in to one giant parts salvaging love fest.

In the end I ended up with
SR1425BK1 server
8 CPUs, 4x Opteron 275's, 4x Xeon 3400DP's
Gigs & Gigs of ECC Registered memory
6x 36gb Cheatah U320 SCA drives
5x 147gb U320 SCA Fujitsu drives
4x PCI-X Intel 1gb NICs
1x Adaptec 39320 PCI-X HBA
1x Adaptec 2200S PCI-X Raid
1x Adaptec 2130SLP PCI-X Raid
5lbs of Copper heatsinks

/giggity

Now... how do I sneak it in to the house without getting it from the wife unit... ;)

You're lucky they let you have drives at all. Hopefully they give you the drive mounting unit as well since those seem to be difficult to come by for cheap. Annoying how vendors think that the drive is worth double that of retail, and double that price if they give you the drive holder.

Sneaking it past the wife is always the trick of the trade ;-) Anything you need at the store? Since you've rated the copper in lbs though (BUSTED! j/k) you can always let her know you're just scrapping parts for resale and recycling what you don't need. That makes it on the "temporary" storage list.

Buy your wife a trip to a day spa.
You're lucky. We can't have anything surplus. :(
Should you be wanting to get rid of the SCA drives, I got dibbs.
patscc

Nice haul. I feel the same way on E-Waste day. The whole car is filled with new (old to them) goodies to play with. I'm thankfully not to the point yet where I have to sneak t past anyone. I'd perfer to do it at 4:30am, if I had the option.

Don't suppose they ever get rid of any tower servers. I have family down on Lakeshore, I'm sure we could trade/swap, whatever.

Back