• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hoiday Greetings from Smoggy Seattle

Clueless in Seattle

I'm an old guy (turned 70 this August) disabled by poorly understood chronic illness, so have to spend a lot of time resting in bed.

I get a great deal of enjoyment from passing my mandatory "down time" in bed by playing around with MS-DOS software on a little Toshiba 2545XCDT laptop.

I have a lot of fun writing DOS batch files, and macros for an old DOS text editor called TSE 2.5.

I have a couple of old PCs, a 286 with both 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy drives. And a 486 with two 3.5" drives.

But I have difficulty sitting up for very long these days, so those machines don't get much use anymore. I mainly use them for making back-up copies of the files on the floppies from the laptop.

I'll soon be posting a "Wanted" message over in the marketplace forum because my laptop (like me) is getting old and cranky and is showing signs that it's getting near the end of its life. So I'd be grateful for some help and advice on scaring up a replacement for it.

Browsing through the forums it seems like you've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful folks here.

I'm glad I found you,

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Welcome! At least you're able to get out there via the internet :) Certainly feel free to share whatever you're up to here. What sort of stuff do you automate with batch files? Ever do any other programming? If you end up with newer gear you might enjoy dosbox or other emulators. Embarrassingly I haven't used that speed system as a primary computer for many years so I'm not up to speed on what it's capabilities are. I certainly used to emulate nes and other slower systems on computers of that speed fine though. Is it really a K6-2 processor?

Back