• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do I test this weird conner hard drive?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
This came out of a Zenith Sportster 286 which was battery pack fried. Nothing was salvageable. As you can see there is damage to the alluminum frame at the top I fixed with vinegar.

The drive is still sealed so there is a chance it may still work. Its connected via ribbon to this board. How do I connect it and power it up and test it? Or should I just throw it out (spring cleaning)?
IMG_20240326_123529.jpg

This came out of a Zenith Sportster 286 which was battery pack fried. Nothing was salvageable. As you can see there is damage to the alluminum frame at the top I fixed with vinegar.

The drive is still sealed so there is a chance it may still work. Its connected via ribbon to this board. How do I connect it and power it up and test it? Or should I just throw it out (spring cleaning)?
View attachment 1276505
Chuck(G) may know?

It's most likely dead anyway. I (finally!) restored my supersPORT 286 just a few weeks ago as well and had to open the drive, since the spindle would not start without help. Got the drive working but even with new bearing oil, the spindle got stuck again after some days...

Well I connected to Berg connector to try to give the drive just power not connected to anything else. It started smoking from the board. Either I had it connected wrong or the voltages were not standard with berg connector or it was possibly an upside down Berg connector. It didn't make a sound it is now in the trash. Well I saved it for a few years I have space on my shelf now. I don't feel too bad about it.

The mechanical part might still be ok with some, admittedly unlikely, luck.

Before you trash that, I would take it for the cost of shipping. Maybe the spindle is less seized up than mine.

The mechanical part might still be ok with some, admittedly unlikely, luck.

Before you trash that, I would take it for the cost of shipping. Maybe the spindle is less seized up than mine.
I dont think its worth the cost of shipping to Germany.

Back