• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to boot from floppy?

At the DOS prompt do a "dir /a" and it should show up. It's a hidden system file, so it not showing up in regular folder listings is to be expected.
Thank you for that bit of info, thought something was wrong
But the computer still will not boot, actually it now says Remove disks or other media, and when i do that it again says operating system not found

Do you have to do a "fdisk a:/mbr" to write the master boot record to the disk? I thought this is done during the format /s but maybe not?

Do you have to do a "fdisk a:/mbr" to write the master boot record to the disk? I thought this is done during the format /s but maybe not?
Omg thank you, I can now finally see the Msdos 5 installation screen, but there’s another problem, It says Insert the disk labeled MS-DOS 5.0 Disk 1 into drive A, but it’s already in it, do i have to rename the disk to something else?

Right. You're getting there.

Now, do you want to merely boot MSDOS from the floppy, or do you want to install MSDOS onto the HD?

Sounds like there may be a .BAT file on the floppy, which is trying to start a full install process. If you don't want to do that right now, then do a Ctrl+C and you should drop out of the process to an A: prompt, from which you should be able to determine where you're at.

It will be the .BAT file process that is looking for the disk label. Although there may be something embedding into the Install .EXE? If your disk does not have the correct label, you'll need to determing what that label needs to be so you can label it. There may be a prog somewhere called 'LABEL', otherwise the act of formatting a disk invites you to assign a label, but you don't want to format it having now got it working!

If you've got the files on a single disk, they may be compressed. so you may NEED to do a full install. The 3 disk system I have I think does NOT have the files compressed. Oh, some may be compessed, some not, look for LABEL?

Geoff

I've unearthed my set of boot disks. These were supplied with a Brother PC long ago, and have a Brother label on them, but the content seems standard.

They are 3 DSDD disks.

They have a label set on each disk, the first is 'DISK 1', in other words the label is 11 chars long, which is I think the max length, and there are 6 spaces between DISK and the digit. The three disks are numbered 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

It seems to be OK to use the LABEL command in the form: label a:DISK 1 as spaces are explicitly allowed.

The LABEL command is on disk 3 of my set, and is compressed as LABEL.EX_.

Having loaded the system, the first disk then proceeds to AUTOEXEC.BAT, this is a small file and ends by starting SETUP.EXE, which does all of the work of installing etc. The message you report has come from SETUP.EXE, so the fact that it's got to that point indicates that all is well, apart from the disk label!

The SETUP I have suggests options to use the initial disks to create a 'working' set of boot disks, or to install the system to the HD, and to format the HD as well, incl putting the system files onto the HD.

Geoff

I've unearthed my set of boot disks. These were supplied with a Brother PC long ago, and have a Brother label on them, but the content seems standard.

They are 3 DSDD disks.

They have a label set on each disk, the first is 'DISK 1', in other words the label is 11 chars long, which is I think the max length, and there are 6 spaces between DISK and the digit. The three disks are numbered 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

It seems to be OK to use the LABEL command in the form: label a:DISK 1 as spaces are explicitly allowed.

The LABEL command is on disk 3 of my set, and is compressed as LABEL.EX_.

Having loaded the system, the first disk then proceeds to AUTOEXEC.BAT, this is a small file and ends by starting SETUP.EXE, which does all of the work of installing etc. The message you report has come from SETUP.EXE, so the fact that it's got to that point indicates that all is well, apart from the disk label!

The SETUP I have suggests options to use the initial disks to create a 'working' set of boot disks, or to install the system to the HD, and to format the HD as well, incl putting the system files onto the HD.

Geoff
Yes I am indeed trying to install msdos5 onto the hdd. I did change the labels on the disks and it finally worked! Thank you all so much who helped me!

I’m not at home at the moment but when i do try to boot, the computer checks the ram and does all that, and then it gives me a cmos error which is fine i’m sure but then when it goes to the next screen it says operating system not found. I have a bunch of random disks to make into an ms dos installer disk but nothing will boot. And i know that the disks are working and aren’t dead or anything. What i’ve noticed tho is that the disks need to be formatted to fat12. I had a win95 boot disk that booted but when i reformat it to fat12 on my mac with my usb disk drive (for some reason it won’t work with windows) and tried to make a msdos boot disk it just doesn’t boot anymore. Is the mac not formatting the disks correctly?
There’s a weird problem going on. I’m trying to do what you say but everytime i select io.sys and copy it to my disk or even copy it to a folder it never shows up. I even checked in the dos prompt on this temp windows machine i have and it doesn’t show up. What’s going on?
It is a hidden file.

Back