• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to create IIgs disks from 2mg files?

neosunrise

Experienced Member
Recently picked up an Apple IIGS rom 01 and was trying to make some 3.5" 800k disks for this computer. I searched on the net and it seems that almost all disk images for IIGS are in 2mg format. How can I write disks from these images? I have a Macintosh LC that has a 1.44MB floppy drive and DiskCopy 6.3.3 installed.

It looks like ADT Pro supports writing 3.5" disks from received 2MG format as well as a number of other formats.

That is probably the simplest way to load up an Apple II with no existing disks.

Unless someone is manufacturing these kinds of Mac cables new, I wouldn't even think about that. Crossover/nullmodem cables or adapters, on the other hand, are very common.

They show them for sale on the adtpro website. Also they suggest that the apple printer cables are null modem, but that seems strange if true. I’d probably go with the adapter and a cable just in case that info is wrong. There are new synthesizer cables that are mini din to d-sub as well, but the one I’ve got doesn’t seem to work for my Mac SE, so I’m guessing is straight though.

So I received the cable and the adapter but have got some issues. I first booted the IIgs with my ADTPro 2.0.2 disk and when trying to Dir or Receive, after I hit the return key, it immediately said "Host timeout" and the ADTPro server on my laptop showed "Request: directory contents" and the status bar quickly displayed message "image transfer aborted" or something similar.

I then followed the steps in ADTPro for bootstrapping but to to avail. I decided to remove the null modem adapter and use the cable alone. Interesting enough - I was able to do bare-metal bootstrapping with Speediboot! The ADTPro client was successfully transferred and started on my IIgs.

However, my luck ended here - when I tried to Dir or Receive, the same problem came up again. The thing that bothers me is that it showed "Host timeout" instantly - if I disconnect the cable from the IIgs, it took a couple of seconds before it said host timeout.

My questions:
1. Does a successful bootstrapping mean the cable and connection are all okay? I am using a CH340 serial to usb cable on my Windows 7 laptop.
2. What could be the problem with a combination of successful bootstrapping and a host timeout in ADTPro client?

Try lowering the speed. Bootstrapping happens at 300 or 9600 and I think the default once it’s up and running is 115,200 or so. So try dropping back down to 9600 and see if things start working. If so, try bumping it up to higher values until it has issues again.

Try lowering the speed. Bootstrapping happens at 300 or 9600 and I think the default once it’s up and running is 115,200 or so. So try dropping back down to 9600 and see if things start working. If so, try bumping it up to higher values until it has issues again.

Thanks for the tip! It seems that I can only change the baud rate between 19200 and 115200? How can I reduce it further?

Oh. I didn’t realize that. Maybe, if it’s speed related, 19,200 will work?

Also there is checkbox for apple iic imagewriter cable that changes something to do with hardware handshaking. Maybe try messing with that too?

There are two pinouts for a single-cable null-modem that will work with ADTPro: an "Imagewriter I" cable (one that does some amount of "hardware andshaking") and one without. The Apple IIc's hardware handshaking tends to be problematic and non-standard, so we're only discussing the non-hardware andshaking cable here. If you happen to have an Imagewriter I cable, you will need to tick the "Apple IIc w/Imagewrite Cable" checkbox in the serial config dialog box, brought up from the File->Serial Configuration menu item:

Adtpro is picky on USB to RS232 converters. I had similar issues with PL2303 cable. Use FTDI based converter.

Hmm that doesnt make alot of sense.... Unless...
unless you modified and then saved the config on the iigs adtpro disk / or used it with a config from another apple ii.. But you say you are bootstrapping.. Well after you finish bootstrapping press G to go into config... Are the settings correct?

Also what bootstrapping commands are you using ? IN#2
ctrl-A
14B

?

Hmm that doesnt make alot of sense.... Unless...
unless you modified and then saved the config on the iigs adtpro disk / or used it with a config from another apple ii.. But you say you are bootstrapping.. Well after you finish bootstrapping press G to go into config... Are the settings correct?

Also what bootstrapping commands are you using ? IN#2
ctrl-A
14B

?

I did not make any changes to the default settings, unless they need to be modified. Yes I used the same commands for bootstrapping. I believe this has to do with the unconnected pin 1 on the mini din connector as it is meant to send the CTS signal (my cable is not exactly the same as the one on ADTPro's page). I am trying a different cable and see how it goes. Will report back as soon as I can test it.

sure check the cable.. but again, after bootstrapping post a picture of the config menu.... Just to say we covered that topic.

Back