• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How To Deal With a System That Belonged To A Very Heavy Smoker?

Paralel

Experienced Member
What is the suggested methodology for dealing with a motherboard that is so caked in a thick "residue" from its former owner being a heavy smoker that the board is one uniform black/brown color and nothing can be intimated about the components on the board except for their rough shape?

For starters, put it in a bin of some sort, bathtub, sink, douse it with hottish water and dish detergent. Say 2 tablespoons per pint. deluge it, let it sit, then at some point scrub with a soft bristle brush. You might even need to let it sit overnight. If that doesn't do it, make a bath of hot water + ammonia. Per 4 gallons of water dump a quart of ammonia. And some soap. Let it soak for a few minutes, check it. after 1/2 hour to an hour tops you should be able to wipe/scrub any common crud away.

You could also just try fantastic or other household.cleansers. make damned sure they don't react with copper.

Clearly you need to uber dry the board before powering. Dry hot air is good. A fan is also good. COMPLETELY dry. Leave it in the sun for a few hours, each side. I wouldn't use a hair dryer/heat gun, at least not *on* the board. From 18"+ away is ok though. But leaving it in the sun, or in front of a fan is a better idea.

Whatever method you choose to wash it (I agree with 2icebtn about washing, but wouldn't leave it overnight) you should get the water out of it as soon and as thoroughly as possible. Leaving in the sun is ok, but if you can, high pressure compressed air with a dusting nozzle is excellent. It will get water out of deep sockets and from underneath chips very quickly. If you don't have a compressor yourself, you could find out if any friends might have one, and wash it there. Make sure not to use a compressed air hose that has an in-line air tool oiler though, some folks keep a seperate dry hose for spraypainting and that would the one to use.

Getting a little oil on the PCB probably won't hurt it, other than to serve as a dust attractant.

If the odor persists after washing (and it can, depending on how sensitive you are), try some Febreeze fabric deodorizer. For some, the odor of cigarette smoke can be as bad as stale cat urine.

Smokers, consider that the aforementioned system with caked-in gunk is considerably more distant from the end of that coffin nail than are your lungs. 'Nuff said?

Cleaning vinegar will destroy stinky feet odor, and even cat piss. In fact with repeated application (i.e soaking) with hot water and vinegar, stubborn mildew smells in clothes can also be eliminated. Soak it, put it in a sealed bag. Take it out, let air dry. Repeat if neccessary. Can't say about smokey smell, but should eliminate that also. Just do not mix vinegar and ammonia. Rinse thoroughly between applications of different "chemicals". You could throw vinegar in with just soapy water. About the same ratio as ammonia and water, or even a greater concentration of vinegar. Nothing that I've very seen penetrates better then ammonia, but if copper, varnish, epoxy, etc. is involved, you can't use too much. If I was soaking steel or cast iron (no aluminum!) to remove paint and filler, I.use it strait. To remove grit and crud from recesses and impossible to get areas, say a steel power steering housing, use ammonia strait. But it takes times. In 24 - 48 hours, virtually everything will run right out. Very easy if you can wait.

Battery acid corrosion comes right off with vinegar and washing soda. Comes right off. Vinegar and water (60/40) is good for rust removal, but ymmv depending on how deep the rust is. I did soak these large steel "cups" just a week ago, that we're partially left outside, or left in a poorly sealed container for years. Soaked them.for 2 days, scrubbed some with a course industrial Scotchbrite, and the surfaces, at least some, looked new.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try using a steam cleaner on this stuff? I've got one, but never used it on electronics. Probably more effective than soaking--use plain old distilled water, no detergent.

I would just use dish soap and hot water with a brush to loosen the dust up on everything (even the PS and all fans). Just make sure they are all dry before putting it back together and applying power.

Smokers, consider that the aforementioned system with caked-in gunk is considerably more distant from the end of that coffin nail than are your lungs. 'Nuff said?

I'm not a smoker (anymore, for over 12 years) and certainly don't condone smoking, but this reminds me of the guys who pull air filters out of smokers' furnaces and say "this is what your lungs look like". I don't buy it. Liquid is constantly seeping out of the lungs, and stuff that gets into the lungs ends up in the circulatory blood system. And lungs breathe both in and out. So whilst it's obvious that smokers lungs are filthier than those of non-smokers, it just doesn't make sense to say that they must be as bad as things that don't have liquid seeping out of them, don't leak through to a constant flow of liquid, and only have air flow in one direction.

There are other things that are worse than cigarette smoke, too. I know someone who used to cut graphite for a living and after just two years had lung x-rays that were worse than most heavy smokers.

My solution to cigarette smoke residue and stink is Scrubbing Bubbles and fresh air. Clean it with Scrubbing Bubbles, rinse, dry with compressed air, and leave it outdoors under an overhang for a month. Then repeat the washing.

I have either hard or softened water here. I used compressed air and shaking to remove as much water as possible, then do a final rinse using RO or distilled water to minimize any salts on the dried board. Compressed air after RO rinse to minimize the amount of evaporation needed.

To add to what I've said, you could just start off with a spray bottle with hot tap water and soap and vinegar. Soak the board, see what comes off. Repeat as necessary. Or try fantastic. It's stinky enough to maybe eleiminate the smell.

My solution to cigarette smoke residue and stink is Scrubbing Bubbles and fresh air. Clean it with Scrubbing Bubbles, rinse, dry with compressed air, and leave it outdoors under an overhang for a month. Then repeat the washing.

So what's that I see hanging there? Your lungs? :)

So what's that I see hanging there? Your lungs? :)

Nothing currently. Radio and computer gear when necessary. My lungs have had twelve years of more water than people are recommended to drink, and plenty of rigorous exercise.

Things less sensitive than electronics are left out in the elements over the winter. They end up amazingly clean.

Well I used to smoke also, sporadically from 16 to 43. It's really amazing I didn't have a stroke 8 years ago, I was seemingly on the verge of one. If I had kept smoking, I'd likely be dead. Anyway mom quit when I was about 1, but still came down with lung cancer and passed a year ago June. Why? Can't say. The WTC workers contracted various ailments being exposed to some kind of carcinogens for weeks or months.

"The good news is that the risk of having lung cancer and other smoking-related illnesses decreases after you stop smoking and continues to decrease as more tobacco-free time passes. The risk of lung cancer decreases over time, though it can never return to that of a never smoker. The risk also continues to decrease for the 12 other types of cancer smoking can cause, heart disease and other related illnesses."

https://www.oncolink.org/risk-and-p...cco-and-cancer/former-smokers-and-cancer-risk

Back