• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to print a file on an XT using DOS 3.2

Springbok

Experienced Member
Hey guys. Need some help. I have an XT running DOS 3.2. I have an IBM 5152 printer connected to it.

I am trying to print something on the printer. I created a simple text file with some text. I enter the command "print testprnt.txt" and press enter. I hit enter wen it asks for the name of the list device, ie make it use [PRN]. It then displays "Resident part of print installed" followed by "TESTPRNT.TXT is currently being printed".

However. Nothing is printing. The printer head never moves. It is powered on and the READY, POWER and ONLINE lights are lit.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

PS. I did remove the 2 copper transport screws at the bottom.

Rather than relying on PRINT doing the work in the background, try and feed it stuff manually and see what you get back.

Usually my absolute first test after checking my cables would be (in DOS)

C:> DIR > LPT1:

If that throws an error message, I'd then try LPT2 and LPT3. Just want to make sure you're sending stuff to the right port.

Thanks for the help. Turns out the graphics card had a parallel port configured as LPT1. Had to configure the parallel port in the AST SixPak Plus as LPT2. It was configured as LPT1 hence not printing. Once I changed the jumper setting, everything worked.

I believe you can also send that file to the printer with:

COPY testprnt.txt PRN
- or -
COPY testprnt.txt LPTx: (where x is 1, 2, or 3 - wherever your printer is)

I believe you can also send that file to the printer with:

COPY testprnt.txt PRN
- or -
COPY testprnt.txt LPTx: (where x is 1, 2, or 3 - wherever your printer is)

COPY is a damn versatile command.

I regularly use it for basic text file creation, like creating an autoexec.bat or config.sys on a bare machine without an editor installed:
Code:
COPY CON AUTOEXEC.BAT
your files text goes here
Then press CTRL-Z then ENTER to write the file

For those unfamiliar the "CON" = Console, so anything you type at the console ends up in the file.

You can easily append an existing text file as well:
Code:
COPY AUTOEXEC.BAT+CON AUTOEXEC.BAT
{press enter to add a carriage return so your appended text starts on a new line}
Additional text goes here, will be appended at end of file.
CTRL-Z, ENTER

Last edited:
Yada, yada, yada... but a small, simple test editor is sooooooooooooo much easier.

Uggg, you cavemen types kill me. :)

Yada, yada, yada... but a small, simple test editor is sooooooooooooo much easier.

Uggg, you cavemen types kill me. :)

Oh 9 times out of 10 I have some editor installed, I only use this in a pinch when the machine is blank and I need to monkey with config.sys or autoexec.bat.

Most my machines get basic "SYS C:" or "Format c: /s" load of DOS only, then I network them with mTCP or MSNET and copy down the rest of DOS and windows and whatever else I want on them, I like messing with disks as little as possible, and sometimes I need to modify a config file before I have DOS and an editor copied down, lol

Oh 9 times out of 10 I have some editor installed, I only use this in a pinch when the machine is blank and I need to monkey with config.sys or autoexec.bat.

Most my machines get basic "SYS C:" or "Format c: /s" load of DOS only, then I network them with mTCP or MSNET and copy down the rest of DOS and windows and whatever else I want on them, I like messing with disks as little as possible, and sometimes I need to modify a config file before I have DOS and an editor copied down, lol

Cool; so all you need is SYS C: and you're connected to the network ready to FTP, no drivers, client software etc. needed...

And I've been doing it the hard way all these years...

I have stopped all that nonsense lately since I have gotten USB working in DOS. Now I have a nice 1GB or 2GB USB flash drive connected to my tweener and it's just tooooo easy to get stuff over from anything non-DOS e.g., Windows.

Cool; so all you need is SYS C: and you're connected to the network ready to FTP, no drivers, client software etc. needed...

And I've been doing it the hard way all these years...
Hey, did you ever consider doing stand-up comedy -- wait, I'll bet you're standing up right now. :)

Back