• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how to ship large computer parts from the usa and germany to uk cheaply?

rorypoole

Veteran Member
I have found two tape drives and a load of flip chips from 3 different sellers in the USA but shipping is a killer, for the medium sized tape drive its $860 us to ship it!!!
the small tape drive is better at $180, but that seller also has a load of 9 track Tapes to go with it? and the $180 is for the tape drive only.
I have also found some full height tape drives is germany for free!!!
how do I ship them cheaply, I am in no rush so slow shipping is fine.

I have found two tape drives and a load of flip chips from 3 different sellers in the USA but shipping is a killer, for the medium sized tape drive its $860 us to ship it!!!
the small tape drive is better at $180, but that seller also has a load of 9 track Tapes to go with it? and the $180 is for the tape drive only.
I have also found some full height tape drives is germany for free!!!
how do I ship them cheaply, I am in no rush so slow shipping is fine.

I send quite a few items to the UK from the US and I always us USPS. Its a third of the price of FEDEX or UPS. For example a box weighing 20 lbs, 20X8X14 was $110 US. Haven't found a cheaper way yet for single items.

Brian.

I send quite a few items to the UK from the US and I always us USPS. Its a third of the price of FEDEX or UPS. For example a box weighing 20 lbs, 20X8X14 was $110 US. Haven't found a cheaper way yet for single items.

Brian.

I have to second this, except that I'm not sure USPS can accommodate really heavy - bulky items.

I have the impression that Where you pay from, also effects the costs. A couple years ago (well maybe 5?) I shipped a J-11 chip to the UK for a friend. It cost me a pittance compared to what it would have cost him from the other side.

Some additional observations:

I paid for insurance, special handling (signature with return receipt) and tracking ala USPS style (~$15 total?). Most of these options would prove to be pretty much useless once it crossed the border. I kept checking the tracking number - it seemed to take forever, approaching 3 weeks. I heard from him finally, that it had been left on his doorstep. (Rural farm area - so that was no problem) I think it took another 14 days for it to show as "Delivered" online. The "return receipt" never arrived.

Still, it arrived in good condition and the cost was minimal. But as far as "security" - knowing where it was; or that it would ever be delivered; or how to go about recovering it if lost... it was like casting your bread upon the waters. Without prayer, it would just be "chance" it would ever arrive. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it were something I was unwilling to lose - It was hair raising enough as it was.

The risk factors (I.E. - loss, damage, customs interference) cannot be ignored or understated. However it must be said, that it's not at all clear if paying more would make any of this better.

Are you sure? How much does it weigh? A 60 pound, 15" X 15" X 15" package costs around $225.

Are you sure? How much does it weigh? A 60 pound, 15" X 15" X 15" package costs around $225.

Yes, his price is actually better. These old tape drives can be tantamount to shipping a 19" rack. A TE-16 for example, is a 60" tall, 23" wide cabinet that's maybe 30" deep. (I'd guess over 200 lbs?) Heck, even the drive module itself, out of the cabinet must be over 24" tall.

I have a TS05 in a low boy, and it's 19"W x 30"D x 10"H(at least).

Here's a TE-16 in an 11/70 system. (I'd love to have this system... from Neurotica)
DEC-PDP1170-SYS-4.jpg

Here's a TE-16 example in a 19"W x 72"H rack.

Attachments

• 102691331.lg.jpg
    102691331.lg.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There are several shipping companies that will handle ocean freight of what they call "Less Than Container Load". It can be cheaper on big things and often your only choice on really big things. It really only works out if you're close to a major port city. Otherwise getting it shipped to and from the port on both ends can cost many times the ocean freight. It's very slow too. Months in fact. I suspect most of the time is filling the rest of the container before shipping.

I know guys in Australia that ship heavy auto parts from the US for their hobby. They have a deal where they all work together and ship things to a central location in LA. Once they have enough for a big enough load they ship it home. There may be similar shipping clubs in the UK too. In fact, if you want to ever know about shipping big things from the US as cheap as possible go on a car or motorcycle collector website in your country and ask. They are experts at it and there are a lot more of them than computer collectors.

Im waiting for a RL02 to be shipped from Germany, will let you know how that goes.
Dave

For Germany to the UK you just drive there? If you don't want to then must little courier firms who would, got to be cheaper than using a parcel company? Bob

I wouldn't fancy it either, but ask around to see if anyone local has used a man with van. My memories of mag tape decks is that they are seriously heavy, too heavy for one person to lift, so any type of courier will have to be on a pallet. Might be cheaper to go, look, and bring home. Bob

ps apologies for spelling/grammatical errors, these touch keyboards are a pian.

the tape drives are in Bremen, Germany, the one tape drive is a siemens 3557, there is also an kongsberg paper tape drive and an unknown tape drive, and I am in the UK surrey.
any one have any info in the siemens 3557 tape drive or kongsberg paper tape drive, or other drive

Attachments

• img_0261_full.jpg
    img_0261_full.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1
  • laufwerke_full.jpg
    laufwerke_full.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1
  • img_0355_thumb.jpg
    img_0355_thumb.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
  • img_0356_full.jpg
    img_0356_full.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
any one have any info on the kongsberg paper tape drive?

Attachments

• img_0350_full.jpg
    img_0350_full.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
  • img_0357_full.jpg
    img_0357_full.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
  • img_0351_full.jpg
    img_0351_full.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
  • img_0352_full.jpg
    img_0352_full.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1
and there are 200X 2400 feet used magnetic 9 track reel to reel tapes cheap in South Plainfield, New Jersey!
anyone in the uk what to split the 200 tapes?

I used Bonvu.com a while ago, they have bases in the US & Germany, and were REALLY helpful & reasonably priced. they may have changed in the past couple of years. one of my mates has used them to bring over 1950s recording gear & they consolidated the shipments & brought it over in one lot.

the add terns out to be 3 years old and they had no takers for the siemens 3557 mainframe and the remaining magnetic tape drive and parts and it was sadly scraped, but the kongsberg stuff was sold

200X 9 track tapes for sale?

200X 9 track tapes for sale?

What else is in South Plainfield? Just curious.

Also, I would imagine that there is plenty of free magtape available for the asking on your side of the pond.

Lou
the seller in South Plainfield New Jersey had a Qualstar 1052 Tape Drive that needs work, that is now in the post to me, loads of 9-Track Magnetic Tape Write-Enable Rings, and 200X 2400 foot 9 track magnetic tape, I also have 3 tapes in the post to have a look at.
I think the Tape Write-Enable Rings are great, and colorful, so I also have a few of them as well in the post.

where should I look for free! tapes in the UK?

Last edited:
There are several shipping companies that will handle ocean freight of what they call "Less Than Container Load". It can be cheaper on big things and often your only choice on really big things. It really only works out if you're close to a major port city. Otherwise getting it shipped to and from the port on both ends can cost many times the ocean freight. It's very slow too. Months in fact. I suspect most of the time is filling the rest of the container before shipping.

I know guys in Australia that ship heavy auto parts from the US for their hobby. They have a deal where they all work together and ship things to a central location in LA. Once they have enough for a big enough load they ship it home. There may be similar shipping clubs in the UK too. In fact, if you want to ever know about shipping big things from the US as cheap as possible go on a car or motorcycle collector website in your country and ask. They are experts at it and there are a lot more of them than computer collectors.

sounds like a good idea, but I will have to think about how I will do it, I dont live by a port but the uk is not that big compered to the usa, but I do have 200 cheap 9 track tapes in the USA South Plainfield New Jersey, and tapes can be wrapped up and used to fill odd small spaces?

Back