• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP-86B & HP-9121D data cable

jltursan

Veteran Member
I'm trying to service an old HP-86B and a dual drive unit HP-9121D but I lack the HP-IB cable needed to connect both.

Seems it's the same cable used for PET computers (not the ones with edge connector), is the HP-IB used in the HP-9121D the same cable as the IEEE-488 GP-IB used in these newest PET models?

Yep, thanks, most probably; in fact I've a lot of them that I commonly use with my PET machines; but although they look the same, I'm not really sure about the pinout and I don't want to risk the HP hardware plugging in an incorrect cable.

Isn't the standard GPIB cable just a straight-through 1:1? In a pinch, I've made them from ribbon cable and 24-pin "Centronics" IDCs. The standard cables are made to be "stacked", so I can't see how that would work any other way.

HP-86A (not B) & HP-9121D

HP-86A (not B) & HP-9121D

Isn't the standard GPIB cable just a straight-through 1:1? In a pinch, I've made them from ribbon cable and 24-pin "Centronics" IDCs. The standard cables are made to be "stacked", so I can't see how that would work any other way.

Good to know, that means I can use the same PET cables for the HP drive. Thanks! :)

EDIT: No way!, my bad, the HP-86 is not a B model, is the A one!. As the connector is totally different, the question is, are the HP-9121 drives compatible with HP-86A?

Last edited:
Well, I'll answer myself, the HP-9121 can be used with the HP-86A by means the HP-IB interface module HP-82937A. Now I only need to find one to get a fully operational setup :)

...or I can try to find an HP-9130 disk drive; but I'm sure that it would be harder to find or pay.

Back