• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I can't remember how to set voltage for K6-2 CPUs

Have you checked the Gigabyte web site for a pdf manual? If Gigabyte has junked it's info bank for that period then a general web search might get you a result. There are a few sites that specialize in holding manuals and software (within copyright laws I guess). Let the forum know any outcome.

I've a board (can't remember as I type this) the name but it has a K6-III(+?) 350MHz on it. I can check its manual later if you are stuck. Of course it might turn out to be bad info as a K6-2 might run at 3.3v and the K6-III at 2.2v or one of the buses (memory, I/O) might have need of one or both.

Kev

Last edited:
The K6/2 has a split power plane, the I/O voltage is always going to be the same, the core voltage is what changes.

Gigabyte still has the manuals for this board up on their site. There's a PDF with the jumper settings for the CPU VCore on page 2. You'll want to set the board to 2.2v to match your K6/2 475. You'll also have to set the bus speed to 95 MHz and the multiplier to 5.

You may just want to try a 100 MHz bus to get a 500 MHz clock, because 95 MHz throws the PCI bus and AGP clocks off. They'll be lower than normal (31.7/63.4 MHz) and reduce the amount of bus bandwidth available to both.

So you're saying I only need to set 2.2v on the jumper selection for my particular board? No need to set the 3.3v jumper as well?

Setting my CPU as 500MHz is a slight overclock.

I don't like overclocking, but seeing this appears to be a very slight one, will the system be reliable in the long run with stock cooling?

Thanks for the knowledge.

So you're saying I only need to set 2.2v on the jumper selection for my particular board? No need to set the 3.3v jumper as well?

Setting my CPU as 500MHz is a slight overclock.

I don't like overclocking, but seeing this appears to be a very slight one, will the system be reliable in the long run with stock cooling?

Thanks for the knowledge.

When AMD makes a CPU, they don't say "hey let's make exactly a 475 MHz part", they bin the chips. It's basically the silicon lottery, some chips barely make the grade, while others are really good dies and could have been run faster; But AMD sold them at a lower speed to meet market demand. All of the CPU manufacturers did this.

The K6/2 was known to have some breathing room in it for overclocking. I used to run my K6/2 chips a bit faster than they were rated for and never had any issues.

A 25 MHz overclock will barely be noticeable to the chip. What will be noticeable is the PCI and AGP buses having a bit more bandwidth from running at the correct speed. Even though your board doesn't have a discrete AGP slot, the onboard video chip uses AGP.

Back