• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I just wrecked my 5.25 floppy drive!

I am a noob.

I am a noob.

I only got this XT 3 days ago. And being a complete noob at XT's really doesn't help. I though the Chinon drive was only 360k. I guess i'm wrong again. I believe the contoller supports HD drives as this computer is from 1988, pretty late for it only to have double density drives. the brand is SM WWEI-63V. It has a parallel and DE-9 serial port at the back and a game port and db-25 serial port on the next expansion bay .
Here is a picture
kontr_fdd_wwei.JPG

From what I can see, the card supports 360K drives only. I see a single 16MHz crystal and an 8272 FDC along with some basic support circuitry (roughly, the leftmost 1/3 of the card). On the other hand, I see an empty socket for another 8250 UART if you wanted 2 serial ports.

The Chinon 502 is a 360K drive; I was off by one line in my lookup. So that drive goes on your PC. The Teacs and the Mitsubishi are the 1.2M drive. However...

While you can format a 360K floppy in the Chinon and read it in the Teacs and Mitsubishi, but you cannot format or write it in the Teacs or Mitsubishi and read it on the Chinon. The reason for this is that in 360K mode, 1.2M drives record every other track (they record 96 tracks/inch) to match the 360K format (48 tracks/inch). So when you try to read a floppy written by a 1.2M drive in a 360K unit, it picks up extraneous "junk" from the odd-numbered tracks that weren't written.

Great job Chuck G. With your help I managed to get the park.com file loaded onto the C: drive. I had to use the hard drive from 486 and connect it to the 360k drive in the XT and managed to copy the file. Thanks.

Back