• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I remember a website of computing history but can't find it

alank2

Veteran Member
It was essentially a month by month play by play of everything that happened in the computing industry, it had a huge amount of detail indicating how many of the companies fought against each other, sued each other, won, lost, products added, discontinues, etc. It was massive and detailed - maybe someone knows what I'm thinking about?

>You mean like this?
>http://kpolsson.com/comphist/comp1969.htm

YES - that looks like it!!!
I saved the original pages of that site over 20 years ago. The ones I have (stored on my Amiga 500 drive) have a date of 1998.

The link has changed, but thankfully the author put a redirect link. Ken Polsson has done a nice job to collect this information over the years. (y)

The source is listed as Computer Wars - The Fall of IBM and the Future of Global Technology which I remember as a poorly researched book. Big Blues also lists the portable SCAMP as a late 60s design. Strangely, both have that information on page 22. I think the authors were conflating the stories of the canceled SCAMP III mainframe with the APL machine of the 70s to exaggerate the slow pace of IBM development.

Back