• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 1130 discussion [group]?

denim

I've changed my 1130 home page to point to this discussion board.

It might be good to see if an 1130-a-like item in the Index could be created for people to discuss this, but I understand that it would be useful to wait until a few more people who are interested in the topic show up.

I think Erik's classification of those old computers as "big iron" is way too inclusive. To me, "big iron" includes all those machines that were primarily dedicated to he "closed shop", punched card input and hard copy output, businesss data processing applications, One simply cannot include the machines that were used for scientific research, education, direct digital control, and a thousand other OEM applications as in the same catagory.
Just to develop a viable list of catagories to which to assign the "old" computers is mind boggleing. Should it be by word length, I/O characteristics, or aome other criteria?
If a true and viable history of the computer industry is ever to be developed, these old computers must e included, so the questions must be answered!
Ray

I agree that we should find some way of including these machines. I've also had a request for another category for PCs older then the Altair.

Both are valuable areas for discussion so I will add both to the forums. Please let me know if you think I should change the titles or descriptions at all. . .

Erik

The google group associated with ibm1130.org has been where the discussions have been going on for a long time.
Brian Knittel still posts every once and a while.
There is also some activity on the cctalk discord, since one of the members is busy trying to rebuild on
that is missing most of the cards.
I don't think there are enough people from the Google group that are on here to gain any traction.

I agree that we should find some way of including these machines. I've also had a request for another category for PCs older then the Altair.
Like the LINC, G15 and LGP-30?
Do you REALLY want to lift that 'firsts' rock?

Back