• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 360K FH Floppy Drive

lucasdaytona

Veteran Member
Hello,

I'm having troubles with a FH Floppy Drive from IBM. I tried the original controller and tried it on a clone (with built-in controller), the drive don't works(keeps spinning like a mad drive, but no light). I discovered that I MUST use a termination pack if I'm using only one drive, but my question is, what is that socket with a jumper? Also, can I simply buy one of this to use?

DSC05561.jpg

Thanks!

The jumper socket is for stuff like drive id and other options (instead of switches).
I think the termination pack is 100 Ohm, but you might want to google this to verify. I'm pretty sure it's not 4.7k, like the one in the link. Are there any electronics suppliers in Brazil ?
patscc

150 ohm, actually. But you can replace it with a bunch of discrete resistors, if that's more convenient. The reason for the terminator is that the outputs from the floppy controller are open-collector and need pullups to +5.

@patscc
Do you know what are the jumper socket settings?

@Chuck(G)
only use a leg to leg connected (like a dip) resistors will work ok them?

Yup, 8 x 150 ohm resistors, pin 1 to pin 16, 2 to 15...and so on. You could even use a DIP plug and solder the resistors to that--or just stick the leads into the socket pins.

I like sticking the leads into the socket (you might want to clip them a bit so they don't stick up so much). It gives it such a nice, breadboardie appearance. By the way, if you're having to order then, just basic 1/8 W or 1/4 W carbon resistors will work just fine.
What's the model number of the drive, by the way ?
patscc

The drive is a 1696585. I will buy the resistors tomorrow I think. I used it as drive B using another 360K drive (non IBM) with a termination pack, and set as drive A. The IBM drive worked ok, a few read errors but I think that I have a lot of trouble disks.

Reading the manual I found the info I need, thanks!

Also, looks like my other 360K HH drives have troubles for locating the Track 00 on disks.

Now I have this question, how to be sure that I have bad media?

Last edited:
Back