• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5150 on ebay....

Cimonvg

Experienced Member
hello
if did not have one of myself - i would make a bid on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5150-PC...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af82d74f7

Personally i think the first 5150 is really cool - kind of simple and pretty old. And cool it is the first in a succes story in computing.
...but have one , and the WAF(*) factor is not high with another "big" box of computer equipment :huh:

Could start the discussion on what is the value of old computers ?
The other day i payed for a Compaticard IV, and not cheap (179$) but perhaps a fair price ???
Could you justify a "high" price with the amount of time spend with old computers ??

By the way , think the seller (not me) would have more succes with "black psu" and "5150a" in the title. ;)
/cimonvg
(*)Wife Approval Factor

It is actually not far from my home. I just do not want to get into the early 1980s IBMs because they are very time consuming to get working again. Besides: I grew up with the VGA 286/386/486/Pentium period really so that is where my nostalgia lies.

WAF is indeed a challenging topic. :D

...same computer up for auction (again). And must say a very clean looking computer !!

And , yes i also did a gigant jump from 8088 to 386sx , way back in early 90' .
But have narrowed my hobby down to a definnition ( for the time beeing ) , to only include IBM 5150 pc1 and whatever fits in the motherboard.
/cimonvg

Even though I grew up on a *pentium 1*, when I rescued my 5150 (for free)... it flipped so many switches in my head and got me interested in things I never considered before. The keyboard really impressed me-- CORK PADS!!!
When you can get one for dirt cheap or free, I think there's nothing wrong with that. They can be fun to poke around and do random things.

Not nearly as interesting as a Personal System/2 (tm), but they are the first PCs.

I managed to win that one. Wish I saw the earlier auction with the keyboard :( Oh well. Other than owning a real IBM AT a long time ago and no longer having it, this is the first IBM for the collection. We'll see how it works out. The beep is a single beep so it could be the normal POST beep. It has the 5700671 ROM dated 10/19/81 so it's not the earliest model. It's got a CGA card so I'm hoping I can hook it up to a Commodore 1084s (for CGA) or maybe through composite from the RCA jack for now ot test it out but it begs for an IBM 5153 CGA monitor.

Can anyone confirm that a Commodore 1084s will work?

I'd love to find a matching IBM 5153 monitor. Hint... hint...

1084 might work, but you need an IBM CGA monitor or clone for best effect. Won't hurt to try, but you might have to settle for monochrome graphics. The only way you could damage anything is if the settings on the motherboard dip switches are wrong. Under certain circumstances a monochrome card can be damaged if the jumpers are set to color, but I forget the exact danger combo.

You can also use an RF adapter if you want to use a TV set. Make sure you're checking the correct version of motherboard when checking the dip switches.

Have fun...the 5150 is a great system to have. Easy to get software if you have a system with a 5 1/4 and 3.5 in drive to convert.

FWIW, a Commodore 1084 can work with CGA... you just need to make sure your dip settings are correct in the computer, and you need to have your monitor already set to handle the digital inputs.

yet another 5150a, with black psu and... looks like serial 0155xxx ?
sometimes there is many , sometimes quit a while between the old ones.. :)
/cimonvg

hello
well did buy the one i mentioned 19. may , a bit of rust , but looking forward to speaker-holder of metal and 1.st generation PSU ;) (40$ + shipping)
/cimonvg

Back