• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 Video Review - history and viewpoint for new collectors

phreakindee

Experienced Member
Greetings all. I have put together a video overview, short history and new user's guide of sorts to the IBM 5150 for my weekly LGR show on YouTube. I'd appreciate any thoughts, good or bad, from users here!

IBM 5150 - Lazy Game Reviews

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy. The 5150 seems to get ignored so much in these types of online reviews and I thought it was about time someone covered it.

Last edited:
That's a well done video.
The only negative comment I would have, is that it was tough listening to what you were saying while all that stuff was going on with Charlie in the office corridor. I found myself watching all that busy stuff, and not hearing or listening to your narrative.
Other than that, well done.

I was actually thinking that after the fact myself... Good for future reference.
Awesome, thanks

That's a well done video.
The only negative comment I would have, is that it was tough listening to what you were saying while all that stuff was going on with Charlie in the office corridor. I found myself watching all that busy stuff, and not hearing or listening to your narrative.
Other than that, well done.

Nice video.

While I'm mostly into XT's, the difference is not big. The only big difference being a removal of the casette port and the addition of some Bus-slots. There were some other small modifications too, like some minor differences in the address-decoding logics and that the PC-speaker line could be examined by the CPU. Most of those smaller differences were transparrent to programs, and there was no compability problems with the PC.

Many people that will watch that video probably don't know the history behind the IBM PC like most of us on this site. I think you did a great job on putting together the presentation, especially the demonstration of the classic video games. I enjoyed watching it.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy. The 5150 seems to get ignored so much in these types of online reviews and I thought it was about time someone covered it.

And thank you. I DID enjoy that, and the gentle larconic humour. The big red switch. Yea! :)

I didn't realise some some of those CGA games could look so sophisticated!

I have one of these machines. I love it. Your summation at the end making an analogy with a classic car hits the spot, and would resonate with a wide audience.

Tez

Hi,

Thanks for this great video. I enjoyed it and I love the little touchs of humor you put in it :)

See you,

Thomas

Thanks for a good video, the mix of facts and humour is spot on! And damn you! I now have a slight urge to get PC hardware :)

Back