• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5160 - Stripdown Cleanup and Repair.

Clint

Experienced Member
So I have a recent acquisition of 5160 With 5154 Colour Monitor, purchased from ebay both items from the same seller both advertised as dead and not working.

This one was born on 5th December 1984, in Scotland UK.

I did not try powering this on as it was quite dirty inside, it had been shipped with polystyrene around it but I was lucky and landed in perfect condition, I decided to strip it down and then rebuild it before trying it, on the way checking things for obvious issues.

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1558.jpg

I decided to recap the PSU, the RIFA's were cracked although not blown, I noticed a purposely cut track on the PCB, anyone know why this was done ?

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

After everything was clean I put it back together, I think its cleaned up very nicely :)

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

The HDD was not parked, I wonder if it will be ok?

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1580.jpg

I tried to turn it on but it did not work, I noticed the fan turned slightly which was a good sign. I stripped it back down to motherboard only and it started, after a little more fiddling I realised the FDD was the problem. With a multimeter set on ohms, I found the 12v rail was shorted to earth, a quick traceback found a 4.7uf 16v tantalum capacitor sitting at position C43 that was short, I filled the gap with a 4.7uf very low ESR Panasonic FC series capacitor.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Once done without the CGA/Parallel card installed the machine gave post beeps a great sign. I rebuilt the rest of the unit to await further testing once I have a keyboard and a display.

Here are the ISA cards that were installed (I forgot to photo the HDD controller) :

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1585-1.jpg

Now onto the monitor next, it is a 5154002 - the PSU is just doing a high pitched noise and no HT.... I took a brief look but they really didn't want and components to escape its in a serious metal cage, its going to take some getting at.

So I am guessing the PSU either has a fault or the HT circuit has a short and the PSU is shutting down as soon as it tries to start, either way I am guessing there will be a few components in that PSU that will need to be replaced due to age.

Well after a cup of tea and some egg sandwiches curiosity won !

I opened her up and removed the PSU, its riveted together so have to take a trip to the garden workshop and drill them out, the PSU although looking hot in a few places did not look too bad.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

The pulsing I had heard is common with an overload so I took to the PCB with the ohm meter and checked the capacitors, not one but 2 had a direct short, both the same cap, C25 & C27 1000uf 25v. I will do a blanket change of caps before I try this unit again, I am missing 2 caps from what I have in stock so it will have to wait till next week. So thats 3 items for repair I have waiting for parts, reminds me of running a repair shop again !

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.JPG

Very nice, congratulations!

... it had been shipped with polystyrene around it but I was lucky and landed in perfect condition...

Out of interest, what's the problem with expanded polystyrene (or Styrofoam)? Many people consider it a very useful cushioning material for heavier, denser items.

For 5154's its a good idea to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.
Looking at your pictures it appears some of the capacitors may have already been replaced.

It may also be a good idea to replace the mains X2 capacitors as these are known for
blowing and causing a lot of smoke.

EDIT: The attached picture shows one PS I repaired awhile back, some of the capacitors look different, that's why
I mentioned some of yours appear to have been replaced.

PSmarkup.jpg

Last edited:
If there isn't one already, would it be possible to do up a parts list for which capacitors are needed for a full replacement? I also have a 5154 which from quick testing appears to be in fully working condition but I was contemplating a full recap anyway just to be on the safe side.

Great to see another fine machine slowly getting back up and running. :)

If there isn't one already, would it be possible to do up a parts list for which capacitors are needed for a full replacement? I also have a 5154 which from quick testing appears to be in fully working condition but I was contemplating a full recap anyway just to be on the safe side.

I second that, as I'd like to recap my 5154 as well. It'd be nice to have a list of needed caps to order before I take the thing apart.

That would be amazing. I would also like to recap my 5154.

I second that, as I'd like to recap my 5154 as well. It'd be nice to have a list of needed caps to order before I take the thing apart.

That would be amazing. I would also like to recap my 5154.

Be aware Clint's 5154 has a Model Number of 5154002, I believe the 5154 had Model numbers of 5154 / 5154001 / 5154002 / 5154003 as the 5153 did. The 5154 being the 120V model only. So probably best to check your own PSU's.

If you have a picture of your PSU can you post it along with the Model Number.

The PSU posted above by Mikey 99 looks identical to mine, what is that from ? and what voltage ?

If anyone is in the UK and wants a set of Panasonic EE, FC & X2 caps I can do 2 sets at cost from Farnell.

I will make a full list as I go through the monitor.

If you have a picture of your PSU can you post it along with the Model Number.
I don't have any pictures, It's been a long time since i re-capped the PSU in my 5154002

The PSU posted above by Mikey 99 looks identical to mine, what is that from ? and what voltage ?
Looks similar, I'd guess a 120V model ?

I also seem to remember having seen at least 2 different manufactures of PSU, But it's been so long i can't remember what model, 5153 or 5154.

That makes sense, IIRC both the 5153 and 5153001 were 120V and the 5153002 / 5153003 were 120 - 240V models, My 5154002 has a voltage rating of 200 - 240V unlike my 5153002 so unlikely to work on 120V.

My 5154 is a 120V model. I have several ...... and I think they are all 5154001

A few more pictures:

Attachments

• DSCF0070.jpg
    DSCF0070.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
Though it looks similar you need to compare solder side to yours really, Yours may have different tracing in places and a few higher rated components.

The PS in the attached pictures came from a 5154 that had blown one of the X2 capacitors, lots of fire/smoke was released :)
Notice all the black crud around the X2 capacitor by the inductor. Its possible that inductor core fell out as a result.
Can't recall if I put that core back in but I probably did....or I may have used a PS taken from another 5154 in that one.

Last edited:
Back