• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5170 Drive Expansion/Power Switch Center

Found this on eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260810967587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Is this real IBM hardware or a clone device with an IBM badge/counterfeit badge? I'd never seen one before. In any case, I thought it was pretty cool, and the seller accepted the offer I placed on it, so it should be joining my AT sometime soon.

It was even identified as a fake here before, either the seller relisted it, or the buyer put it back up...

There was a guy that went to an Amish market, and saw an old horse a farmer was using to bring in his wares. The farmer protested at attempts to buy the animal from him, teller the man it was old and partially crippled. But in the end, he took a small amount of money for the decrepit beast.

The man purchasing the horse quickly found out the farmer lived up to his reputation of not lying about its condition, and brought the animal back to the same market the next week. As he approached the farmer, the Amish seller protested "Sir, I told thee in good faith that the animal was no good for thee, I cannot take it back!". He received the answer: "I wasn't bringing it back for a refund, but I wonder if I can borrow your hat for a time?".

Eh, I figured it was probably a fake since IBM didn't usually reuse numbers. That's why I put in a lowball offer...I'm guessing the seller knew it wasn't IBM too, or he wouldn't have accepted. I'll probably replace the MFM drive with a SCSI hard drive, and possibly replace the floppy with a SCSI Bernoulli drive or a 3.5" MO drive.

Back