• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 6794 and 2GB of Ram?

Samir

Experienced Member
This is a somewhat modern system as it is in the Pentium 400fsb era, but it's definitely getting to be old for sure.

The original specs for this system specified 1.5GB of RAM max via 3 512MB PC133 SDRAM modules. These could be either ECC or non-ECC, but not registered.

In some research on the chipset, it supported up to 2GB of RAM, making me suspect that the rarity of 1GB PC133 unregistered modules is what was the limiting factor of this system having 2GB of max RAM.

So my guess is that this system will support 2GB of RAM via either 2x 1GB PC133 unregistered modules or a combination of a 1GB PC133 unregistered module as well as 2x 512MB modules.

My questions are does this sound logical, and does anyone have experience with something like this? It would be really great to know before I invest in anything. Thank you in advance for any insight! :cool:

It uses the original 845 chipset. DDR variants support 2 GB. I see some references that the chipset may be able to handle 1 GB SDRAM for a total of 3 GB but I also see forum messages indicating problems getting the 1 GB SDRAM sticks to work. I don't see the benefits being worth the time and money to track down potentially working sticks.

Crucial lists other 845 motherboards as supporting 2 1GB PC133 sticks so take it for what that is worth.

Last edited:
It uses the original 845 chipset. DDR variants support 2 GB. I see some references that the chipset may be able to handle 1 GB SDRAM for a total of 3 GB but I also see forum messages indicating problems getting the 1 GB SDRAM sticks to work. I don't see the benefits being worth the time and money to track down potentially working sticks.

Crucial lists other 845 motherboards as supporting 2 1GB PC133 sticks so take it for what that is worth.
Thank you for the reply! Do you have links to the threads? I'd like to read those discussions as I never found any in all my extensive searching on the topic.

Interesting to note what Crucial says about it as that was my guess as well.

Thank you!

In my research I only found the limit for DDR. That's interesting that the chipset might support 3gb because that would be pretty sweet.

I have a Dell gx20 as well that takes the same type of ram and its limit has been confirmed to be 2gb via 2 1gb modules:
https://www.compuram.biz/memory/dell/desktop-workstation/optiplex/gx240-005087/

Unfortunately, the same company still lists the 1.5gb limit for the IBM.

It would be really nice to know the answer to this riddle before plunking down quite a chunk for 1GB modules.

Back