• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM ISA 16 BIT 16/4 Token Ring Adapter issues

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys,
Has anyone setup the IBM ISA 16 BIT 16/4 Token Ring Adapter under MSDOS? I'm trying to use the IBM local area network support program 1.1 (DXMA0MOD.SYS and DXMC0MOD.SYS in my config.sys) which I used with my 8bit ISA Token Ring network adapter but its not detecting the card. Do I need to use another .sys file for this card? I've tried changing jumpers using this: http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprm0/f2048.htm but no luck. Its either the card is broken or I'm using the wrong driver to load it in MSDOS.

Thanks,

I'm effectively trying to load either MTCP with the IBM-token ring packet driver or Microsoft Network client 3.0.

Seems the BM ISA 16 BIT 16/4 Token Ring Adapter II uses three main files:
One the IBM16TR.DOS is a NDIS driver that comes on the IBM Token-Ring Network 16/4 Adapter II Diagnostic Diskette Version 4.00 which I have.
The DXMA0MOD.SYS is included on the IBM LAN Support Program 1.1 which I have.
The last one is the DXME0MOD.SYS that comes on the Local Area Network Support Program aid. Which I can't locate. Anyone have a copy somewhere they could share.

Sample config.sys to load.
Device=c:\LSP\PROTMAN.DOS /I:\LSP
Device=c:\LSP\IBM16TR.DOS
Device=c:\LSP\DXMA0MOD.SYS
Device=c:\LSP\DXME0MOD.SYS

Then you can load the standard packet ibmtoken packet driver for use with MTCP or the other MS network client stuff for standard msdos networking.

Any help most appreciated. The 16/4 8bit token ring adapter works well but this is a mission to get working.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm interested in hearing which 8-bit adapter (where it works) and ISA (pre-'Auto', with the switches) that you have. What is the FRU P/N of the 27C1024 ROM? Does it have the separate RIPL socket? If you can tolerate the interface, we do have a Token-Ring group on Facebook (where I've linked your topic here).

I've also archived every ROM image I could find for the Token-Ring adapters, although the images are very specific to the ASIC(s) and adapters it/they are paired with. Again, knowing more specifics of the adapter you are trying to use would be helpful. Very much on-topic, have you seen the articles where Ken Shirriff examined an 8-bit adapter (with the 'Spyglass' ASIC) and ISA adapter (with the 'Pinegrove Shrink' ASIC)?:

Interesting. The two ROMS on the card read: 03F0227 and 03F0293 .Does this help?
03F0293 is the RIPL (boot) ROM (it's also the latest version as an independent image) - Later versions of the ISA adapter incorporated the RIPL functionality into the main ROM. The ISA adapters also had a 16-bit-wide ROM (27C1024 or compatible, as I remember), where microchannel and 8-bit adapters used an even and odd pair (27C256); Microchannel 16/4 adapters also merged the RIPL ROM image into the microcode ROMs at the same time, where it was always kept as a separate socket on the 8-bit adapters, even if they were 16/4 (I have those boot ROM images if you need them).

For the stickers, I can't see what the main ASIC is, but it is likely the 'Pinegrove' (02G1394). The microchannel adapters had an issue under Windows 95 (in IBM ECA parlance, "non-IBM network software) with the later 'Pinegrove Shrink' (50G6144), but not the 'Pinegrove'. My adapter (78G9640) with the same ROMs has bodge-wires, which may be worth checking against a continuity meter for your adapter:

78G9640-Top.jpg
There are also a couple on the inverse:
78G9640-Bottom.jpg
You don't need the RIPL ROM unless you are booting over the network, although it would be very interesting to get TCP/IP set up under the ICLAS boot image. Which 8-bit adapter do you have? Locating an ISA 'Auto' adapter is also easy to do, and I have all of the network driver files on diskette that came with that later level.

ok thanks for the info. My 8bit is the IBM Token ring 16/4 adapter. Could you put the files online somewhere so I can grab a copy?
Thanks,
Rob

ok thanks for the info. My 8bit is the IBM Token ring 16/4 adapter. Could you put the files online somewhere so I can grab a copy?
Thanks,
Rob
There are a few different versions of the 8-bit 16/4 adapters (it's an evolution of IBM changing some details), although you could probably list the FRU on the ASIC (there doesn't seem to be post-'Spyglass' on the 8-bit adapters, although that was just likely supply lines) and/or the microcode ROMs (it is very specific to the ASIC and adapter it was placed on, recompiled nearly every time). Most of the diskettes I have are from the later 'Auto' line, although I plan to empirically test what works between adapters. I can image the diskettes within a day or two, and I'm also trying to get a few other people to weigh in on this discussion.

Here is the 8bit card I use. I use one on y IBM XT 5160. I'll attach the config and files. the reason for using the 16bit manual jumper one in my IBM 5170 is to have more options with IRQ settings as I use a soundblaster 2 and Roland MT32. Can you check if you have the DXME0MOD.SYS file on your driver floppies? If so would be amazing to have a copy. That's the driver I think I need for my 16bit card.

For the 8bit card you need to load in the config.sys :
device=c:\net\dxma0mod.sys device=c:\net\dxmc0mod.sys FILES=30 BUFFERS=40 LASTDRIVE=Z DEVICE=C:\NET\IFSHLP.sys

For MS client 3 networking use this in your autoexec.bat:
@CLS @VER @ECHO OFF BREAK ON @ECHO. VERIFY BREAK @ECHO. @ECHO Loading Microsoft Network Client 3.0 TCP/IP ... @ECHO. C:\UTILS\blank-it 10 /S /N PROMPT $P$G SET PATH=C:\NET;C:\DOS,C:\XTGOLD C:\NET\net start netbind @ECHO. C:\NET\tcptsr.exe C:\NET\tinyrfc.exe C:\NET\nmtsr.exe @ECHO. C:\NET\dnr.exe @ECHO. @C:\NET\net logon 5160 123456 /yes /savepw:no < C:\UTILS\net.txt NET USE X: \\MR1995\TEMP BREAK OFF VER @ECHO. VERIFY BREAK @ECHO

For MTCP networking use this in your autoexec.bat: C:\NET\MTCP\ibmtoken.com 0x61 0 C:\NET\MTCP\SNTP -SET time.apple.com C:\NET\MTCP\DHCP

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Here is the 8bit card I use. I use one on y IBM XT 5160. I'll attach the config and files. the reason for using the 16bit manual jumper one in my IBM 5170 is to have more options with IRQ settings as I use a soundblaster 2 and Roland MT32. Can you check if you have the DXME0MOD.SYS file on your driver floppies? If so would be amazing to have a copy. That's the driver I think I need for my 16bit card.

For the 8bit card you need to load in the config.sys :
device=c:\net\dxma0mod.sys device=c:\net\dxmc0mod.sys FILES=30 BUFFERS=40 LASTDRIVE=Z DEVICE=C:\NET\IFSHLP.sys

For MS client 3 networking use this in your autoexec.bat:
@CLS @VER @ECHO OFF BREAK ON @ECHO. VERIFY BREAK @ECHO. @ECHO Loading Microsoft Network Client 3.0 TCP/IP ... @ECHO. C:\UTILS\blank-it 10 /S /N PROMPT $P$G SET PATH=C:\NET;C:\DOS,C:\XTGOLD C:\NET\net start netbind @ECHO. C:\NET\tcptsr.exe C:\NET\tinyrfc.exe C:\NET\nmtsr.exe @ECHO. C:\NET\dnr.exe @ECHO. @C:\NET\net logon 5160 123456 /yes /savepw:no < C:\UTILS\net.txt NET USE X: \\MR1995\TEMP BREAK OFF VER @ECHO. VERIFY BREAK @ECHO

For MTCP networking use this in your autoexec.bat: C:\NET\MTCP\ibmtoken.com 0x61 0 C:\NET\MTCP\SNTP -SET time.apple.com C:\NET\MTCP\DHCP
Yes, I can check the diskettes when I image them tonight. That's the "3/4 Length" 8-bit adapter, the first venture of 16/4: There are the plate-through ICs and the "CHEX" line driver chip that were changed in later designs (three later versions).

Yes, I can check the diskettes when I image them tonight. That's the "3/4 Length" 8-bit adapter, the first venture of 16/4: There are the plate-through ICs and the "CHEX" line driver chip that were changed in later designs (three later versions).
The FRU markings are hard to see in regular pictures - that ASIC should be the 51F1439 that is likely a 'Spyglass' or immediately proceeding it (as said, the ASICs on the 8-bit adapters are never later than the 'Spyglass', 63F7704). I'll put the pictures up of the later 8-bit adapters.

Excuse me (confused with a couple 4Mbps versions) - There is a later "Short" 8-bit 16/4 adapter that is FRU 25F9494 when it has the 51F1439 ASIC and 25F9523/25F9524 ROMs (microcode A78064) and latest "Short" 8-bit 16/4 adapter that is FRU 92F4555 when it has the 63F7704 (verified 'Spyglass') and 92F4538/92F4539 ROMs (microcode C24944):

92F4555.jpg

Hi, the ASIC on my 8bit card is: 02F8442ESD ( IBM 14 PO) (189470221S) which is etched onto the aluminum cover :)
Here's the rough order of production:

Full-length 4Mbps, 8-bit "Adapter" or "Adapter II", or microchannel "Token-Ring Adapter/A" = 'Azores' chipset
89X9991 = First integrated ASIC, only used on "Short" 4Mbps 8-bit adapter
02F8442 = Used on "3/4 Length" 8-bit 16/4 and "Long" microchannel 16/4 (separate RIPL ROM) adapters
51F1439 = Used on 4Mbps and 16/4 8-bit, ISA, and microchannel adapters, 'Spyglass' or immediate precursor
63F7704 = Confirmed 'Spyglass', always with separate RIPL ROM
02G1394 = Confirmed 'Pinegrove', on integrated RIPL adapters, never on 8-bit adapters
50G6144 = Confirmed 'Pinegrove Shrink', on integrated RIPL adapters, never on 8-bit adapters
63G8538 = 'Pinegrove Shrink' pin-compatible on 3Com 3C629B

'TROPIC' (IBM-produced 16/4 for National Semiconductor to market to 3rd-party manufacturers as '100% IBM-compatible' adapters):
63G8520 = 'DP8025U' for ISA
32G9270 = 'DP8025' for microchannel

So my issue now is with the MSDOS Network Client. I can't seem to get netbind.com binding. The NDIS driver is now loading and there are no conflicts. The card is detected in MSDOS. Any ideas?

I get the following error when running c:\NET\net start netbind

Error: 5955: The protocol manager was unable to bind due to an unspecified error.

config.sys

STACKS=9,256 DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS DOS=HIGH FILES=40 BUFFERS=30 DEVICE=C:\SB\DRV\CTSB2.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 DEVICE=C:\SB\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS LASTDRIVE=Z fcbs=16,8 device=c:\temp\ibm\protman.dos /i:c:\net device=c:\temp\ibm\ibm16tr.dos device=c:\net\token\DXMA0MOD.SYS device=c:\net\token\DXME0MOD.SYS device=C:\NET\ifshlp.sys

Autoexec.bat
SET SOUND=C:\SB SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T3 SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E SET MTCPCFG=C:\NET\MTCP\MTCPCFG.CFG @echo off PROMPT $P$G PATH=C:\NET;C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\XTGOLD;c:\norton SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP c:\NET\net start netbind C:\NET\tcptsr.exe C:\NET\tinyrfc.exe C:\NET\nmtsr.exe C:\NET\emsbfr.exe

Protocol.ini
[network.setup] version=0x3110 netcard=AdapterII,1,ADAPTERII,1 transport=tcpip,TCPIP transport=ms$nwlink,MS$NWLINK transport=ms$ndishlp,MS$NDISHLP lana0=AdapterII,1,tcpip lana1=AdapterII,1,ms$nwlink lana2=AdapterII,1,ms$ndishlp [MS$NWLINK] FRAME=TOKENRING DriverName=nwlink$ BINDINGS=MS$ADAPTERII [TCPIP] NBSessions=6 DefaultGateway1=192 168 2 1 DefaultGateway0=192 168 2 1 SubNetMask0=255 255 255 0 IPAddress0=192 168 2 6 DisableDHCP=1 DriverName=TCPIP$ BINDINGS=ADAPTERII LANABASE=0 [protman] DriverName=PROTMAN$ PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP [DXME0_MOD] DriverName = DXME0$ Bindings = IBM16TR_MOD [ADAPTERII] DriverName=IBM16TR$ ADAPBUFFSIZE=1032 ADAPMINTRAN=2 ADAPMAXTRAN=5 MAXTRANSMITS=5 MINRCVBUFFS=5 SIZWORKBUF=1112 IOBase = 0x86A0 [MS$NDISHLP] Drivername=ndishlp$ BINDINGS=MS$ADAPTERII

Last edited:
@ibmmuseum

Do you have a card like mine you could try and see if you can get netbind working under MSDOS? I'm stuck I think. I've tried everything. Not sure why I can't bind. mTCP works but not Ms Networking Client 3.0.
Yes, I'm getting a Token-Ring lab set up again. Can you verify that you don't have 50G6144 instead of 02G1394 on the ISA adapter? I'm wondering if the "non-IBM networking software" issue is cropping up for the apparent difference between the 'Pinegrove' (02G1394) and 'Pinegrove Shrink' (50G6144). The 'Pinegrove+' ASICs were never used on the 8-bit adapters, just the 'Spyglass' series - and they coupled more directly to the microchannel bus, but were still used in the ISA implementations before the 'Auto' adapters.

You might also try to get an ISA 'Auto' adapter for being a newer design - and still commonly available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144951817627 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/266388180255 are the two main styles (I think there is a DOS configuration program if needed, but I need to check my diskettes and manuals)

Hi,
Did you manage to get your lab setup? I'll try and pop the lid on my AT to get the pinegrove number to confirm which one I have. With the "auto" adapter can you choose the IRQ. The reason I'm using the one with dip switches as I have a conflict with my sound blaster and need to be able to choose IRQ.

Have you tried the ISA AUTO 16/4 92G7632 adapter? Do you think that would work?

Back