• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM P70 Help connecting to the internet!!!

Bio Hazzard

Hey first time posting,

I've recently begun working on my P70 again, learnt all about MCA cards & ADF files (still don't 100% get everything yet).
Anyway decided to pop my Intel EtherExpress TP nic in and see if I could get some connectivity, but have only been met with frustration.
Note the nic didn't actually come with any disk so all I've been able to acquire is the ADF file from mcamafia.de

Specs:
IBM P70 386 w/ 8 Mb ram (also late planar version with video on main planar)
wfw 3.11
Intel EtherExpress TP MCA

Here's the exact steps I did:
  • Removed old nic and replaced battery, then updated config with the ref disk and the set time.
  • After ensuring it could still boot I stuck the ref disk in once more and followed the prodcudure from mcamafia.de to copy in my adf to the ref disk
  • Run autoconfig on ref disk again
  • Start windows
  • In network setup add adaptor use driver provided with wfw 3.11
  • Set I/O Address to x300 & Interrupt to IRQ 11 as indicated in the manual I have
  • Copy over tcb32b.exe, extract to C:\
  • Add protocol, select unlisted or updated protocol then select where I extracted tcb32b.exe
  • After it installs the TCP stack I then configured my network, I had to do it manually as DCHP wouldn't work
  • I used the same network settings as my other machines

So this is where I'm at. I have seen the yellow TX light blink at times on the back but on my router side the traffic light never blinks back :confused: Also I'm assuming that when they say twisted pair they just mean normal ethernet. Because to my knowledge that nic should hook up to my modern router just fine, the only difference should be that it runs at a slower speed right??

Also when I added the stack it change my autoexec.bat and now it won't boot from that, I just get a black screen after the windows logo :confused:

And one last thing it wouldn't let me add the nic drivers if I didn't create a windows network. But I shouldn't need to create a windows network right??? I'm just thinking unless I had multiple old machines running wfw 3.11 it would just be useless right??

Cheers

I don't know how I'd do that. To my knowledge you need the various tools that came with the NICs floppy (diagnostics test etc...) Unfortunately I don't have that but I was luckily enough to atleast get my hands on the ADF file.

If you know a way I can set that up I'll give it a try.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm still trying to figure this out.

My IBM hangs on startup so maybe that's related in some way to my networking issues.

If I press F8 on startup and execute everything but my autoexec I can get it to start. But I've taken any network related cmd out of my autoexec now and it still hangs!?!?

When I use the F8 on startup trick is it actually excluding something else from loading on startup?? Maybe drivers for my NIC, but that wouldn't make sense as all of this stuff gets run before wfw 3.11 even gets loaded.

The other thing I was thinking about trying was a different IP/TCP stack, I tried messing around with winsock with no luck :( To my knowledge my best shot atm is the windows stack but open to suggestions.

Also something I found funny, they still have the original microsoft knowledge base page up for the IP/TCP stack :p

Back