• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5150 tantalum replacement

hozone

Hello.
I've found a 5150. First boot was an explosion. One tantalum is gone. I've removed it and found another one is in short. I've notice they are on the + and - 12v lines. Also I've read here is a common issue on the +-12v lines.
I would like to replace all the + and -12v caps, since they are not many.
I don't want to replace it with tantalum again, I'm wondering if 10uF ceramic could fit or electrolitics are better. I've 10uF ceramic yellow, they seems the original tantalum so I prefer those, but if electrolitics are better I'll use that. Of course at least 16V compatible.
Once replaced I'll try to boot it ( finger crossed ).
Thanks!

Better to replace like with like, as they would be tantalum for a reason. They really only fail after years without voltage being applied.

Hello. Welcome to these forums.

I've found a 5150.
Lots of IBM 5150 information at minuszerodegrees.net

I don't want to replace it with tantalum again, I'm wondering if 10uF ceramic could fit or electrolitics are better.
In the IBM 5150, for the tantalum capacitors that you are referring to, if I decided not to use tantalum replacements, then I would choose aluminium electrolytic.

But I am quite happy with tantalum replacements. In my (and others) experience, what you are experiencing is typical for a IBM 5150 that hasn't been powered on in years. Replacement details at [here].

If you really want to use ceramic, then make sure you read articles like those at [here] and [here].

Thank you all. I'll buy 10uF, I'll go for 25V since they leave me more space for the 12V line.
Two pins since I've difficulties finding 3 pin.
I'll keep you updated!

I've replaced the +12V -12V and -5V line caps with 10uF tantalum 16V caps (2 pin)
It boot and works!!!
I added the failure to the list at [here].

Now I've to build a floppy 3.5 adapter cause I do not have any 5.25 floppy on other PC to transfer data. https://minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/external_diskette_drive/5150_5160_external_diskette_drive.htm
Often, I need to transfer files between my WIN10 machine and my IBM 5150's and IBM 5160's.
For a long time, I was using the 'intermediate PC' method shown at [here].
These days, I temporarily put an XT-CF card into the 5150/5160, and do the transfer via the CF card.

NOTE: The IBM 5150 motherboard will require the final BIOS revision.
NOTE: For CF portability between computers, ensure that the XT-CF card has a recent version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS (a.k.a. XUB) on it.
NOTE: To save any hassle in finding a compatible CF for the XT-CF card, perhaps consider purchasing an XT-CF that is supplied with a CF (i.e. supplied CF will be compatible with the XT-CF card).

Thank you @modem7.

I've just noticed my PC is a 5160 so I think you have to change the board version on the failure list. Sorry for that. I'll change the title if this post if I can.
Also I'm going to create a new thread for the restoration with a few picture.

Attached here the picture of one of the caps.

I've version 01/86 of the BIOS, U18=62X0852/U19=62X0853. I don't think I've to upgrade it, unless you suggest it different.
I'm concerned to FastLynx 3.3 software method. Have you ever tryed it? Cause I do not have any intermediate PC to use. Problem will be setting up the first software on the 5160.

Attachments

• IMG180101-000057-000064F.jpg
    IMG180101-000057-000064F.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
I've just noticed my PC is a 5160 so I think you have to change the board version on the failure list. Sorry for that.
No problem.
Changed.

I'm concerned to FastLynx 3.3 software method. Have you ever tried it? Cause I do not have any intermediate PC to use.
Yes, I have used it many times. For example, I used it when I wrote the web page at [here].

Problem will be setting up the first software on the 5160.
Yes. You need to meet the 'Requirements' section of the web page that I pointed to.
Note too the first item in the 'Warnings' section of that web page.

I see that you have a serial port on your IBM 5160 (i.e. provided by the 'IBM Asynchronous Communications Adapter' card).

Back