• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PC XT 5160, 512K, 5153 Monitor, Original Books

Blue DaNoob

Hi All,

I found this forum while researching a vintage IBM that I am ebaying. Thanks for all the great info.

I have a very nice PC XT 5160 that's been in storage for 20 years. 5153 Color Monitor, Quadram Board, Hayes Modem, original disks and manuals in great shape, and some other stuff.

I went a little crazy with the photos, so it may take a minute to load. I haven't seen it in a long time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190304998482

Hope you enjoy! Cheers,
BDN

PS> I'm happy to answer any questions about it if I can.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate it! It's already seeing some bidding on ebay.

A quick technical question for you - how would you reccomend parking the drives for shipping if I don't have the orignal cardboard floppies? Should I put blank disks in the drives or is there another method?

On the motherboard of your XT, the chip named "U90", how is it connected to the rest of the board.

One of my two XTs (1983) has it named "Spare" and there is no IC present there, the other XT I got (1985) totally lacks it.

Here are some detail shots of the area from left to right:

Hope that answers your question. cheers,

Last edited:
Aa. I see. It's just like my 1985 XT.

I wonder when they re-mapped the PCB (either late 1983 or early 1984).

"Parking" the floppy drive question, blank floppy disk as noted before is good. I saw someone else creatively cut up a cereal box and put the cardboard in the drive with a little tape to ensure it'd stay in there which worked fine also. Of course if the system is running and has a hard drive then you'd do the regular "park" command before shutting her down for shipping.

- John

"Parking" the floppy drive question, blank floppy disk as noted before is good. I saw someone else creatively cut up a cereal box and put the cardboard in the drive with a little tape to ensure it'd stay in there which worked fine also. Of course if the system is running and has a hard drive then you'd do the regular "park" command before shutting her down for shipping.

My 5150 was not shipped with any inserts, and I was afraid the floppy drives would be knocked out of alignment, but they've worked fine and I have not yet encountered any problems using disks written with my 1.2MB drives.

It's really for double headed drives and/or drives that have glass read heads (double density 8") that during shipping the weight can end up having the two heads clash and break on each other.

I agree, I've had plenty of systems with newer 5.25 shipped and arrive fine although now adays if I can get the option I'll still have them try since I've seen the way a few of the boxes were handled lol.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Rest assured for those bidding, I will take all suggested precautions wrt shipping. My retro computers are like pets. I'd like to see them arrive safely at a good home.

Next on the block is a TRS80 Model 102 with some goodies from Club 100. I'll put the details ina new thread.

I also have an early mac clone, and a performa. I'm not sure I'll bother with ebay, I may just post them here if anyone is interested.

You could always post them in an auction on this site as well (free). Either way, nice system :) The working shots and game are a GREAT touch. I'm still debating on bidding, just need to check if I can link paypal to my IOU account.

Well this is interesting. One of my other auctions just closed, and for the first time in my ebaying history, the "instant pay pal payment" is on hold pending shipment. That means I have to pay out of pocket to send the items, and then wait 21 days for the payment. Essentially, I get to pay for, and finance the shipping for the winning bidder! Anyone else experience this? Maybe not a big deal on a small ticket item, but the shipping on this computer system can easily hit $150, and I don't know if I'm comfortable shouldering all the risk.

Well this is interesting. One of my other auctions just closed, and for the first time in my ebaying history, the "instant pay pal payment" is on hold pending shipment. That means I have to pay out of pocket to send the items, and then wait 21 days for the payment. Essentially, I get to pay for, and finance the shipping for the winning bidder! Anyone else experience this? Maybe not a big deal on a small ticket item, but the shipping on this computer system can easily hit $150, and I don't know if I'm comfortable shouldering all the risk.

Are you talking about that RPG package you just sold?? If so, the buyer has a feedback score of 1008 and 100% positive. Doesn't seem like a risk to me.

Anyone else experience this?

Yep. They did this to me a while back. Here is a snippet of the email they sent me when I questioned the policy.

For security reasons, PayPal may delay the release of a payment to the seller. eBay and PayPal are working together to make the marketplace safer for buyers and sellers by helping to ensure successful transactions which, in turn, can mean more sales for you.

To determine if a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, we may hold payments that seem risky. Common reasons for holding payments include but are not limited to:

An eBay member for less than 6 months, or
Have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, or
Have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** 5% or greater than 5%, or
Have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
Have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
The item is listed in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer electronics.

PayPal may release the funds earlier when one of the following occurs:

3 calendar days pass after proof of delivery.
The buyer leaves positive feedback after receiving the item.
21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.
For US domestic shipments, the eBay hold is removed 3 days after proof of delivery is received. (Carriers - USPS, UPS, or FedEx)

Once the payment is completed successfully, the status in My eBay or Selling Manager will change to "Paid."

One note - this was back in January when I got this. I am only assuming here that their current policy is similar to this. Things may have changed over time.

Last edited:
Are you talking about that RPG package you just sold?? If so, the buyer has a feedback score of 1008 and 100% positive. Doesn't seem like a risk to me.

I'm sure the buyer is on the level. That's not what's troubling me. It's just that I auctioned something off, now I have to 1) send the stuff so it's no longer in my possession, 2) pay to do it, and then 3) wait 21 days to see any money?! I buy lots of stuff online, and I can't recall a time someone shipped something to me for free and then gave me 21 days to play with it. A lot could happen in 3 weeks.
I guess my biggest concern is that i ebayed something to make money, not to pay money out.

OMG, something else with ebay that I didn't know about. Does seem like they can hold the money if they want to. Good thing I am lazy and haven't gotten it in gear to start selling yet. I should write a note on my forehead about remembering to try VCF Marketplace first. As we know, only problem with that is most of us are close to tapped out as far as spare cash. I too have been thinking about grocery money when drooling over some new toy that will take me years to get to.

You could always post them in an auction on this site as well (free). Either way, nice system :) The working shots and game are a GREAT touch. I'm still debating on bidding, just need to check if I can link paypal to my IOU account.

This XT was made in early 1985 for sure, since it has DOS 3.0 disks, and DOS 3.10 replaced it that spring. A very nice system; the only improvement it needs is to be filled out to 640k (and maybe a DOS other than the buggy 3.0).

OMG, something else with ebay that I didn't know about. Does seem like they can hold the money if they want to.

And it looks like paypal just changed its Terms of Service. Scary stuff if you have your bank account linked to it. Here is the discussion on Reddit this morning. Since I don't have the funds in paypal to cover the shipping I'm now on the line for, paypal will just pull it out of my bank. That's just super.

Back