• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC's 8088 replaced with a Motorola 68000

Man, that article was clearly automatically generated by running the Hackaday text through a thesaurus. “IBM Private Pc”. Uh huh.

”AI” truly is going to be the death of human intelligence. Not in a cool Skynet kind of way, more of a “smothered in our own vomit after passing out on the toilet” sense.
I sure hope that article isn't the future of writing :)

I've got a Dimension 68000 I've been saving for 30 years to get running.20230618_174934.jpg

I need a keyboard.
Has anyone had luck getting one from DimensionDude in AR?

I need a keyboard.
Has anyone had luck getting one from DimensionDude in AR?

I contacted him on Twitter and asked him to dump the firmware from the keyboard, which is just a Keytronic with custom firmware and 8048, which he never did.
I borrowed one, dumped and documented what is inside. Someone else has made a PS/2 adapter

http://www.easy68k.com/paulrsm/dg/dg17.htm "As a result, work on a faster (shrunk) 68000 has been set aside and all hands are concentrating their efforts on the 68010. We understand that the 68010 will be the chip targeted for speed improvement. The good news is that the 68010 is pin compatible with the 68000, so it should run on the DTACK board. The bad news is they have to first get the 68010 in production before they can begin to speed it up."
One sign I see is the new package types that comes with the die shrink. The "G" package type got replaced with "P", CLCC was replaced with PLCC etc...

Last edited:
68010 wasn't a 'die shrink' It added support for recovering from a bus error, so you could build virtual memory machines easier, and it optimized
for small loops
You could still buy them in ceramic PGA. The 68012 was the same part with a few more adr lines bonded out in a ceramic PGA

68010 wasn't a 'die shrink' It added support for recovering from a bus error, so you could build virtual memory machines easier, and it optimized
for small loops
You could still buy them in ceramic PGA. The 68012 was the same part with a few more adr lines bonded out in a ceramic PGA
I mean that it was based on a die shrink, which is why it took so long.

Last edited:
The information I have is that both the 68000 and 68010 were done with the same 3 micrometer process. Die shrinks happened later for all the 68000 line.
Nope, I don't think this is true. You can see this in the different package types.

Nope, I don't think this is true. You can see this in the different package types.
The packaging has nothing to do with the manufacturing node. Motorola sold 68000 and 68010 in DIP, PGA, and LCC. The 8 MHz for both chips in all 3 packagings had a maximum power draw of 1.5 watts. There was a die shrink that arrived a few years later. Evidence of that can be seen in the 16 MHz having a maximum power draw of 1.75 watts.

The packaging has nothing to do with the manufacturing node. Motorola sold 68000 and 68010 in DIP, PGA, and LCC. The 8 MHz for both chips in all 3 packagings had a maximum power draw of 1.5 watts. There was a die shrink that arrived a few years later. Evidence of that can be seen in the 16 MHz having a maximum power draw of 1.75 watts.
I am talking about the difference between the "G" and the "P" packaging for example.

It is a common little tuning for Amiga 500/1000/2000 to swap the 68000 to a 68010. For Atari ST it was also possible when using KAOS-TOS, TOS 2.06 or EmuTOS. But some old software is incompatible to 68010.

It is a common little tuning for Amiga 500/1000/2000 to swap the 68000 to a 68010. For Atari ST it was also possible when using KAOS-TOS, TOS 2.06 or EmuTOS. But some old software is incompatible to 68010.
Thats one of the things I never really understood, and perhaps I'd just need to re-read the 68010 manual, but why would reading the SR need to be a privileged instruction. I get that by today's standards any data leak between privilege levels is "bad" but I think think reading the status register has much of an impact it just breaks binary compatibility needlessly.

Back