• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/1 Model 2155 "Multimedia" --just another 486 system??

RizThomas

Experienced Member
A couple months back,I was given an IBM PS/1 system (Model 2155 with "Multimedia" printed on the front Flap cover". I made me "hop" a bit since it will be a good addition to my retro collection (after being so sorry of sending a few PS/2 systems in 2005 for recycle from work --did not even think of keeping one). So after giving it a good cleaning (and dusting), I found that the unit is just another variation of a typical 486 system (like that of Dell 486P or any other clone). Here is a summary of what I found...

1. Typical 486 system layout (just the motherboard being IBM). The VGA connector uses the early ones where 1 pin is blocked so I have to sacrifice one of my VGA connector in taking off that pin.

2. Being not used to IBM stuff, I noticed that it takes PS/2 standard keyboard/mouse. Also, it has one of the early IBM IDE drives.

3. Not sure if the last owner upgraded the OS or changed the original, but it has MS-DOS 6.21 and Windows 3.1. I was hoping that it is a proprietary IBM OS (like PC DOS or something IBMish).

4. there is NO -- IBM DOS ROMS (which is talked about in some models like the 2011 where the Monitor and desktop are dependent (PSU for the desktop comes from the monitor).

So, after some "googling", I have yet to find a definitive answer on what was the pre-loaded OS when it was released. There are some mentions of PC-DOS, etc. but I am not sure either

Can I reload PC-DOS including the real IBM PS/1 Menu screens, etc. ??

There is nothing special about it. The original OS load was what is on there now. What was the full model number? There are 3 more digits after 2155 to ID the sub configuration. A friend of mine had an identical 2155 in the past. The machine was notable for coming with a COMPRESSED hard drive from the factory.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/d9b2.htm

@njroadfan

Thanks for the info. My PS/1 is Model 2155-80P(SL-B)... and by your supplied link, this gave me the right direction to this site info:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/10366.htm
which gave me enough information about my system.

So I will just keep the loaded OS as is...except back the system data (NGhost the HDD) so as to be able to restore the it if ever I want to replace the existing drive (which is whinning noisily). I am considering to replace it with a CF drive. Luckily the HDD is IDE ..hopefully it can recognize the CF.

Back