• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 9595 with Roland MPU-IMC (mega awesome super IBM)

I suppose I should provide the next update with in regards to getting GODS working on the MPU-IMC.

After talking with two people regarding the subject, I have deducted the following:

#1 GODS does not require IRQ 2/9, so whatever issue GODS has with the MPU-IMC (it works with an LAPC-I on IRQ7 just fine)
#2 GODS doesn't work with a MIF-IPA-A either

My next plan of action is jumpering the MPU-IMC to IRQ 5 (IRQ 9 will cause the machine to hang when it tries to access the MPU-IMC for obvious reasons). Then I will try redoing the IMC deploy, and if that still doesn't work, I may try windows 98. Since that's what my colleague used for testing on the LAPC-I. Also windows 95 is getting irritating with its random freezing whenever I shut down or restart. Only happens 20% of the time.

Nice thread... As a 9595 owner, I definitely appreciate this particular piece of hardware, and I'm DEFINITELY drooling over that 5.25" adapter that you have! :) Curious though - you really dropped a grand on this thing? (and yes, it is in GORGEOUS shape!)

I lucked into mine 9595-ONT: 2 available in the seller's possession (identical configurations and shape from the pictures). $50 BIN and $50 ship... I was all over it (this was about 18 months ago). Mine had been used though - alot. It was full of dust bunnies, though thankfully, the foam around the fan and internals was and is still in great shape. It was only missing 1 hard drive cage, and had 5 other SCSI drives connected (2 of which were bad; recovering the data off of them proved impossible). I never did get it fully running how I would like (got too side-tracked with other projects), but I don't see myself getting rid of that machine.

I should also note that I'm totally jealous that yours has keys with it, too :)

No, I didn't spend a grand on it. The computer was $200. The most expensive part of the computer was the MPU-IMC which was $300. At least it was new with the box etc. The one that is for $999 is still on ebay (it's an 8595 and doesn't have the blue badge that I wanted).

I did however spend a lot on the NIB keyboard that is now attached to it:
1959509_266769663501885_1579893325_n.jpg

Oh well. Lesson learned.

Setting up a 9595 isn't all too difficult once you have it all figured out. This project actually maximized everything I knew about hardware, SCSI, and old operating systems. I love typing stuff in DOS... it's so efficient and fast. One downside is that when I switch over to using modern computers I get frustrated with how [slow] they are. Gone are the instantaneous text interfaces.

Oh, I remember seeing that machine on ebay. If I had lost the auction for the 95 I did end up winning, that was the plan B "I'm being gouged but dammit, I'm fed up with looking" machine.
The seller didn't ship to Canada actually; it had to be proxied over. And apparently the thing was so huge, it was the maximum size allowed by the USPS when shipping it here.

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful machine up and running so well.
The Model 95 is one of my favorite MCA based machines and yours is a beauty!
Alex

Are the WASD keys blue on that as well? What's up with that?

Yeah, light blue WASD keys, light blue Esc, and light blue arrow keys.
They were 3rd party key caps purchased from unicomp. The keyboard came with the standard space saving keycaps. I thought the light blue keycaps would be neat. But I'm under the impression not many people like them for some reason.

I can't say I'm a fan of the light blue keycaps. I must say that they're nicer than the Kentucky Wildcats Model M keycap set, however ;)

Back