• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS\2 HDD Setup

mwin

My PS\2 Type 8555 has a wd-336rt hard disk in it. When I run the Reference disk in auto mode it displays a error that it could not determine the disk type. I cannot find any info on the disk and there is no stickers on the disk itself with any info. Does anyone know anything about this disk? Especial the Disk type to set in the BIOS of the PS\2. Thanks.

It's ESDI, so it wont need a HDD type set, it should just auto-detect and work.

If you don't have any luck with a solution, another option is a SCSI MCA card and fitting a SCSI HDD.
It's quite neat on the IBM, because once installed you can configure the SCSI card and drives from the normal BIOS setup on the reference disk.

Do you mean RS/6000?
I wouldn't count on it myself, any boot code on the card is unlikely to be loaded with x86 instructions.
But wouldn't hurt to check the model number and see what you can find out. If it is an RS/6000 then that's a rarer machine, if I was you I'd probably leave it alone unless it was dead.

My PS\2 Type 8555 has a wd-336rt hard disk in it. When I run the Reference disk in auto mode it displays a error that it could not determine the disk type. I cannot find any info on the disk and there is no stickers on the disk itself with any info. Does anyone know anything about this disk? Especial the Disk type to set in the BIOS of the PS\2. Thanks.
There is no PS\2, only a PS/2. :)

The ESDI hard drive that is in the system I cannot figure out why the system cannot see it. The Hard drive spins up and the light comes on during the detection process but nothing. The one thing that I noticed is that most pictures on the 55SX I see online have a ribbon style Hard Drive cable, mine has a a flat tape like connector something one might see in laptop should I try to replace this?

I have a IBM RISC System/6000 390 which I am not planing to butcher for parts. I also have something called a IBM POWERserver 370 that has a SCSI-2 Narrow Diff Controller Board in it. This controller has a 50 pin SCSI-2 external connector on it. I would like to put this controller in to my PS/2 and hook up an external scsi hard drive. Do you thin the computer will be able to a) see the hard drive and b) boot from it. What I am really worried about is if I put the card in to my PS/2 can it break something in the system.

The blasted ribbon cable that links the drive to the MCA bus is garbage. When I ahd a 55 I went through three of them before I found one that both spun the drive up AND detected the drive. They're crazy fragile.

Well the SCSi card did not work does not get picked up by the system. But I did solve the issue with the ESDI hard drive. There was a Advanced Gravis micro channel game card installed in slot 1. Some how this was interfering with the hard drive. After I removed the card the hard drive was detected by the reference disk.

Back