• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM System/36 5363 communications - what options are available?

RetroAND

Experienced Member
Hello,

I am considering an upgrade on my System/36 5363 and one of the facets I find it somewhat lacky is in communications. For this reason I would like to know if there was some sort of communications card available and what protocols would they use (modem? token-ring?). Maybe I focus on a wrong perspective and may need some other device instead, I don't know. The real question is - if I wanted it to communicate with other computers is there anything else than terminal emulation cards for the PC?

Thank you in advance

In your System/36 model 5363 message, it doesn't state much about the system configuration.
So any forum reader, should take it that the system is configured in its default state. AKA, as in a IBM AD for that model.
Your message doesn't state a II, III version so we should interpret this as a I version system. likely form 1987-1988.
The big issue is going to be the availability to get the communication boards for extra communication ports, that is if the system hasn't been maxed out already.
Trying to find the complete documentation for an Ethernet, Tokening network card with the firmware and drivers is going to be another issue as well.
With a model that has a 16-bit ISA-bus you can use any ISA-Based card but you might have to write your own drivers for the card.
At one time most of the 16-Bit ISA cards that where made form IBM had a version with drivers for this system, except for some Video cards, game port cards, memory expansion boards.
If you have a system model that doesn't have the ISA-bus adapter then you options today are some what more limited do to the availability of cards available.

As far as communication standard the System 36 supports that is listed in its manuals.
The system supports : Async Formats formats, Sync Communication Formats in either ASCII or EBCDIC formats through its existing serial communication ports.
To support others like AES Data format, Sinclair QL Qlan network you need the right hardware and software to do that.
For X.21 networking or AT&T DDS communications once again you need the right hardware and software to do that.
Ethernet, Tokening network cards I have already noted in the above message.
To use IBM Mainframe devices with system 36 you need the interface unit for that as well, but most of those devices are outdated and have small capacity to todays hardware.
Most of the IBM part numbers for these boards can be found at Bitsavers.org archive in the IBM computer system documentation, But you will have to look them up yourself.

My model is one of the older 5363, no II or III.
I don't know if my system uses the ISA bus. How could I determine it?
I'll take a look into the docs available at bitsavers.

EDIT:

The system has not been expanded previously. About microcode, I lack the floppies - would it be the same across regions or are they different?

Thank you!

Last edited:
My model is one of the older 5363, no II or III.
I don't know if my system uses the ISA bus. How could I determine it?
I'll take a look into the docs available at bitsavers.

EDIT:

The system has not been expanded previously. About microcode, I lack the floppies - would it be the same across regions or are they different?

Thank you!
I am a little short of time to day, so I will try to answer this question quickly.
I have quickly attached some photos of the 16-bit ISA Bus Adapter for the system 36, that is what you should look for in the system in question.
More pictures of system 36 bards/logic boards for the system 36 can be found at :
https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/system36/5363/pictures/5363_sn_44-09266/
Hears a flew of the ones that relate to your question on the ISA-bus adapter.
00- Xxxx-IMG_8242.JPG a 10 Slot IBM bus to 1 signal 32-Bit ISA bus adapter
01- 001-IMG_8243.JPG Top of the 10 Slot IBM bus to ……….. Adapter board
02- 002-IMG_8246.JPG bottom of the 10 Slot IBM bus to ……….. Adapter board
03- 003-IMG_8248.JPG A 6-slot 16-Bit ISA card bus with a 32-bit slot
04- 004-IMG_8252.JPG IBM Part number for the 6 slot IBM ISA Bus card adapter
05- 005-IMG_8254.JPG replacement part number.
As far as your Edit comment About microcode, I lack the floppies ?? (diskettes ??)
- would it be the same across regions or are they different?.
But In short ,yes the onboard microcode-ing can have some changes across different models and versions. Some OS versions require newer Microcoding Firmware and other changer to
be able to run on really old models, in short.
This additional information might have to wait until I can give a more detail reply on them, or if some one else does it for me/before I have time to do it.

Attachments

• 000-IMG_8242.jpg
    000-IMG_8242.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 003-IMG_8248.jpg
    003-IMG_8248.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Back of system 36 with 16-bit ISA slots.png
    Back of system 36 with 16-bit ISA slots.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 8
  • EmbeddedImage back of system.jpg
    EmbeddedImage back of system.jpg