• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM terminal with harddrive??

That is definatley an IBM EduQuest, an EduQuest 35 I believe. I had one of those at one time. I'm more familiar with the more common version that has the sound card option installed (easily noticable by the blue roller knob on the front, and the two large 1/4 phono jacks for headphones). Here's what I can remember on those (besides using them from 5th grade on up through high school)

EduQuest 35
486 SX-25 (either that or it possibly was a 386...I'm not sure) (IBM, surface mount, non-upgradable), ATI VGA Video (640X480 @16 colors max). Usually set up with an IBM Token Ring network card and an Analog Devices MWAVE 8-Bit Sound Card. It has 4MB of RAM on the motherboard, and can be upgraded to 20MB using 2MB 30 pin 70NS SIMMS.

EduQuest 40
486 SX-33 (Intel, Socketed, and upgradable to at least a DX-2 66 from my experience). Usually set up with an IBM Token Ring Network Card and the same audio circuit as above. Uses the same memory. Some of these came with early (tray loader) CD-ROM drives as well. These seem to be the most popular.

EduQuest 50
Not sure, but I think they were DX2. Most of them I have seen had the sound circuit built in and the Tray Loading CD-ROM mentioned above. I know nothing of the main board.

When I left high school in 2001, we were still using them for basic internet and applications using Netscape Navigator 4.08, running on Windows For Workgroups 3.11 on top of PC-DOS 7.01 (?). The few decommissioned units un-plugged from the LAN I used to hijack with a boot disk to play my old Atari 2600 emulator games and Ultima VI on in class. Amazing how much I fooled everyone on down to the superintendant that I was doing something "educational". Nobody seemed to care I was playing Pitfall! in English 101 either.

Back