• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM XT/286 5162 wanted

JDT

Veteran Member
I am still looking for this machine of myth and legend, to compelte my IBM 51xx collection.
Seems in the last few months of not checking like I should have been, I've missed an opertunity or three.

So I am STILL looking to acquire an IBM 5162 XT/286 machine.

Pretty please...

I might have an XT on hand... Not sure what it's specs are. You needing JUST the computer?

I might have an XT on hand... Not sure what it's specs are. You needing JUST the computer?

I need the XT/286, the Model 5162. Very specific about that =)
I already have the PC (5150), the XT (5160) and the AT (5170).

At that price point I have.

Unfortunately for your efforts, that is a proper price for the XT/286. They're quite uncommon. That is roughly the price I would let mine go for.

Your best bet for getting one for less is either craigslist, some good old-fashioned spelunking, or these forums.

lol that's the auction I keep seeing and getting excited about (local) then remember the price. Have you thrown them an offer? I see it's had a few declined but eventually you'd think they might cave or lower it a bit.

Unfortunately for your efforts, that is a proper price for the XT/286. They're quite uncommon. That is roughly the price I would let mine go for.

Your best bet for getting one for less is either craigslist, some good old-fashioned spelunking, or these forums.

At least with yours, he'd be getting a fully-tested and working unit rather than an "it powers on and the fans turn."

If they'd take $250-300 for it, it would've sold a long time ago, I think.

I did throw them an offer, that expired. I also asked for more pictures, inc inside.

Last edited:
Speaking of the 5162, anyone happen to have just the motherboard for this? I have a near complete machine, sans motherboard. Long story short machine was taken apart round 12 years ago to be cleaned like new again. Just got my hands on it from a bank I worked at (was the machine hooked up to the financial transaction database and general ledger). Somehow I ended up moving not 2 weeks after getting it, owner of the townhouse I lived in passed away, and the wife wanted to sell the house... Anyways in that move I lost a few boxes of stuff sadly. To this day still don't know what happened to em. *shrugs. Among the items where that motherboard and my disney sound source and a few other weird goodies. =(

ATM I use a 3rd party 286 motherboard with a 386sx in it (desoldered old chip, soldered on laptop 16mhz 386 QFP w/ homemade protoboard adapter so the pitch spacing matched) running at 8mhz (1/2 speed, changed crystals), but its just not the same... :(

Why would I do all that work to a 286? Simple, win 3.0/3.11 and ability to run 32 bit software ;) That and I got 2 of these motherboards for the price of 1. Not 4 years ago, you couldnt give away a 286 on ebay, let alone a 386sx. Everyone wanted 386dxs. Now even the 386sx's have raised in price. :S

Now if I can get a board for a REASONABLE price, I even have a 286 to 486 upgrade sitting here taken from a 286 ps/1 (from a dead 8560 I got from a member on here, ty again!). Shame... Be fun to own a real XT thats a 486 SLC/50. ( Ya Ya i know some of ya only consider the 5150/5160 real XTs, and this a glorified AT, but it still has XT badges so good enough for me).

So pretty please, anyone who has a board for this and is willing to part with it to a good home for a fair deal, msg me or post a response or w/e. Really love to get my hands on a board, even if its non working. Willing to repair one if necessary...

Last edited:
So I am STILL looking to acquire an IBM 5162 XT/286 machine.

There's one on eBay right now, one thing it has going for it is the claim (who knows if it's true) that they only made 20K units of the XT/AT. They want five "C" notes for it, plus shipping, but the seller said that he cleaned the motherboard, so it might already not be working the way it was in the pictures due to static damage. It has no hard disk drive. Item number 171343328768. I asked the seller about the keyboard error in CMOS, he replied pretty quickly that he plugged a keyboard in after he took the CMOS pictures and I assume that that's how he got the screen shots of the directories. I didn't ask him if he'd written a batch file an another machine to give him an idea of how to answer the question, but who knows on eBay?

In other !news, Iraq is falling into civil war, and other assorted unniceties that we don't have to put up with in the industrialized world.

Sean

I have a 5162 that needs it's PSU recapped and is missing the top cover.
One day I'll go searching to see if I can find it but I fear it was put out by mistake and taken by a scrap metal guy. :(

Modem7 has a diagnostics disk image on his site for the 5170, I believe they are the same, I have a diagnostics disk for the 5170 / XT-286 but it's an older version than the one on Modem7's site.

I have a 5162 that needs it's PSU recapped and is missing the top cover.
One day I'll go searching to see if I can find it but I fear it was put out by mistake and taken by a scrap metal guy. :(

If you find it the bad news is that Radio Shack doesn't repair electronics anymore, or at least really old ones. The good news is that you might be able to go to a TV repair shop in the less expensive part of town and get the owner to fix the supply for you. He could balk by saying he can't do a Part 15 legal repair, but you could slide some paper his way and that could become flexible. He could balk saying that the parts aren't available, but you can (if you know how to not electrocute yourself) open the PSU up, find out the type of capacitors, and order them from Digi-key or Mouser Electronics.

It's actually not that difficult of a repair. If there is any wire lead between the top of the circuit board (side with no circuit traces - they connect the components together electronically) and the bottom of the capacitor you can just strip some insulation and solder the leads of the new ones to the wires, being careful to observe correct polarity and to discharge all the caps before doing the work, and then also not touching anything that conducts except the case with your body.

I bet the buyer of the 5160 in a 5162 case on eBay is going to be mad...

Sean

Back