• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IDE HDD on XT

DR-DOS diskette propably have first few sectors in DD format and rest is HD.

You just need any controller, that will handle HD, it can't be genuine IBM controller or any other double-dentisity only controller.

my other two HD controllers don't work on it.

DR-DOS diskette propably have first few sectors in DD format and rest is HD.

You just need any controller, that will handle HD, it can't be genuine IBM controller or any other double-dentisity only controller.

Extremely unlikely. DISKCOPY can't handle mixed formats.

Extremely unlikely. DISKCOPY can't handle mixed formats.

that's what i was thinking. i dont think that's really possible.

it's not like it doesnt read the HD MS-DOS 6.22 disks at all. it loads them, and runs at least some of the code. the screen will say "Starting MS-DOS..."

then it will attempt to load IO.SYS (i'm assuming that, it's not like it tells you what it's doing) and it seems that particular file has some code that ends up locking the system.

my other two HD controllers don't work on it.

That's because they are probably 16-bit cards. Some 16-bit cards work on the XT-bus, but not all of them.

it's not like it doesnt read the HD MS-DOS 6.22 disks at all. it loads them, and runs at least some of the code. the screen will say "Starting MS-DOS..."

then it will attempt to load IO.SYS (i'm assuming that, it's not like it tells you what it's doing) and it seems that particular file has some code that ends up locking the system.

I've tried booting 1.44meg disks on 720k drives as well, and what you are describing is pretty consistent with my experience.

Back