• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Identity of a Data general I/O board

Peborgh

This board is type # 107000063-08. From the curly tracks it looks like an early one. Can anyone confirm this was one of the first board types made by DG for the original Nova.

This is URGENT!

Many thanks,

peter

Hi All;
I contacted my Friend Bruce Ray, and He said that it is a 1970's Board.. But, there is for the most Part no 107 cross reference to Schematic number, listing.. But, IF you could do two things one is post a picture to help identify it, and second, in the front left hand corner, by the extractor, DG generally said what the board was or was for.. So let us know what the board says, also, if there are any other numbers on the boards or on a label on the back of the board, or on the front Black spacer, it may have a number on it there.. Any other information would be a great help to help you identify what the board is and what system it went to.. But, most likely it is Not from an origional NOVA..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi Peter;
I took a chance and looked thru my pile of DG boards.. And I found a 107000063-08.. I have two at the present.. So, my last answer is partially right.. the -08 is the Rev number, and -08 is too late for an origional Nova, But, it will work just fine in a origional Nova.. or a 1200, or an 800 , as well as some Eclipse models, ones with real front panels.. To be a board fronm an origional Nova, it has to be a very low -Dash number.. -08 is too high, and if the -08 has a Daughter board 107-0005720, on it then it Definately is NOT for an origional Nova..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi Peter;
I took a chance and looked thru my pile of DG boards.. And I found a 107000063-08..

Marty,
Out of curiosity, do you know what the board was? In the early 70's I worked as a young circuit designer on a project that used NOVAs. The only thing I can remember was an interface board called a 4040 that we used to wire wrap our custom I/O circuits inside the mainframe. I remember we used the front panel switches to load in a short bootstrap to start the thing going. I loved the blinking lights. Do you have a working NOVA?

My company sent me to Southboro to take some hardware maintenance and I/O classes. About the only things I remember from that was that "if the light source from the paper tape reader goes out and you can't wait for a repair call, replace it with a VW brake light bulb", and "while testing, never key-in a jump to address zero at address zero. It will overheat the system".
-Dave

Guys,

A sudden avalanche of answers. Thanks.

I actually noted the 1968 copyright too late and have bougth the thing from eBay. All the information you provided was useful, though.

Marty, what DG stuff do you have? I worked for DG in the UK from 1975 to 1979. Now I collect old computer bits from the 1950s to the 1980s. You sound like a guy worth knowing! Do you have a website for your collection?

Many thanks all,

peter

Hi All;
Dave, the Board is the Standard I/O Board, Origionally for Teletype, but it also works with RS-232, it also has the Real Time Clock, as well as the High Speed Paper Tape Reader on the upper left side and the Paper Tape Punch circuitry on the upper Right side of the Board, with the fingers on the lower side of the board..
Peter, I have had an Origional Nova and many Nova 1200's, at Present I have an Eclipse S130, (not running, Power Supply problem).. I have Boards for the Nova 1200 and for the Eclipse.. I do not have a web site.. My Friend Bruce Ray does have a site though, look on google for WildHare Computers..
THANK YOU Marty

Back