• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IDM Research V-50 Motherboard Bios (ROM??) dump

RizThomas

Experienced Member
Hello,

I just found a nicely kept motherboard in one of my boxes and it seems to be a PC clone made by IDM Research (could be a Canadian company??). It seems to be an early version of IBM 5xxx series.
I would like to test it and see if I can make it work. However, there seems to be a ROM missing in the ROM Slots/row. I can not remember whether this one is an XT type. I found some loose Bios chips but it says XT Bios..not sure if it belongs to this motherboard since it is not plugged in.

here is picture of the motherboard..

There are some BIOS dumps posted in these section. I wonder if any one of them I can use and to what type of Eprom (27Cxxx)type I can burn the dump on.

Thanks
RizThomas

Attachments

• DSCF0090.jpg
    DSCF0090.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for the quick help. I will set it up and try to burn one of the bios. I am guessing at this point that it will go to the first socket (rom slots). I will google for some more pics and looks for clues, tips.

Thanks
RT

You may also want to burn the Supersoft diagnostic ROM while you're at it. Can be invaluable if you run into problems. You'll put it into the socket nearest the 2 40 pin DIP ICs.

It seems a "classic" Taiwanese motherboard from the DTK/ERSO clonemaker. Many manufacturers used these motherboards to build OEM systems and replace 5160 motherboards. It should have a TURBO swith too, look at the second oscillator, 24MHz gives 8MHz TURBO XT, more rare 30MHz gives 10MHz TURBO. Most of generic XT-clone 8Kb BIOS will work. As example I like "AMI 8088-BIOS 31JAN89.BIN" it looks stylish and modern.

Back