• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

If You Are Familiar With A Tyan Trinity 400 (S1854) Motherboard...

Come to think of it why do you need a larger drive? 80gb should be fine for Windows 7, a 120gb even better. What do you intend to do with the system that you would need 500+gb of space?

Another option is to put multiple 120Gb (or 80gb since we know for a fact they work with the BIOS) drives in the system and forget about add on cards. Assuming you have a single IDE CD-Rom, you could put in 2 extra IDE drives.
With IDE hard drives being cheap, I thought I'd add a good-sized one and solve any potential future storage problems once and for all. Yes, I suppose I could add one/two extra 80GB hard drive(s) but I thought I'd keep it simple and have only one but of a bigger size. Should make disk imaging/cloning easier and faster should I decide to purchase a newer computer in the future...

Re-install Windows and tell it to put the user folders (\documents and settings\...) on the second drive; as well as any program files you install and your temp files.
I did not see any option during install that would allow me to choose where some of Windows 7 components get installed. When I selected Custom installation, I recall being asked on which hard drive I wanted to install (I only have one HD anyhow!) but nothing more. It must be some sort of option that I missed...

You need to do the "unattended" install to get this (and a bunch of other options):

See here.

Sorry for not mentioning it, but I haven't done an "attended" Windows install in a very long time--the interface assumes too high a level of stupidity.

For what it is worth, a complete clean install of Window 7 Pro (64bit) that I just did, including Office 2010 Pro and some other freeware software titles only takes up 30Gb.

So my suggestion is for you to back up your data and re-install Windows 7 and allow it to format the drive so you start with a clean state and I would estimate you should come in around 20gb of used space.

I am guessing you are using so much space because of legacy things left over from the XP install you had on the drive before.

lutiana said:
For what it is worth, a complete clean install of Window 7 Pro (64bit) that I just did, including Office 2010 Pro and some other freeware software titles only takes up 30Gb.

"only?" :shock: I wonder if I'll live to see the day when someone says that an OS install requires "only" 30 PB... :)

I just did another clean install of Windows 7 Pro X64 with everything as default. No software added, but I did install the .Net Framework, SP 1 and all the other updates as well as deleting all but 1 of the system restore points. The system was old enough that the only driver I had to download and install was the display driver. All-in-all, it is using 14gb of space on the drive.

When I get a chance I am going to do the same thing with a the 32bit version, and see how much space it uses after all the updates.

Windows 7 Pro x86 (SP1) clean install with all the defaults and all the updates (same as before) takes up a grand total of 9.45Gb of space.

Back