• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I'm screwed

denim

I made an IBM 1130 web site. One of the things I have there is a request for people who were on the development project or who have a system to contact me.

I've been lucky in that the original engineers have started making contact, but a few days ago I heard from a guy with an actual system he apparently wants to get rid of. With all docs. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and don't have any place to put a system like this. It'd take up the whole living room plus at least part of a bedroom, if he's got the peripherals he says he does. And that assumes I could afford to have it shipped in the first place.

I think my next Thing To Do is to ask the Computer History Museum if they could help me out with this.

The Computer History Museum is probably the place to start. A machine like this should be preserved.

There are other 1130 sites on the net as well, I think, and they might be able to help.

Good luck!

Erik

Welcome to the club, it's like gravity - the more stuff/info you have the more it attracts other stuff.

As for storage, you could always get a storage unit in the meantime... And for cheaper transporting, if they are willing to pack the stuff up and take it to their local large airport there is an airport-airport shipping service that is affordable. I have read about it in the Arcade collector newsgroups, never used it myself.

joecommodore said:
And for cheaper transporting, if they are willing to pack the stuff up and take it to their local large airport there is an airport-airport shipping service that is affordable. I have read about it in the Arcade collector newsgroups, never used it myself.
A storage unit, where it'd get a chance to rot in peace. I've done storage units. Climate controlled ones would be more expensive.

WRT air shipping an IBM 1130 system, uh, you don't understand the size of this thing with its peripherals, do you? Picture a good sized desk. Add to that several filing cabinets for EACH peripheral.

1130 topic?

1130 topic?

I'm going to change my 1130 home page to point to this discussion board.

It might be good to see if an 1130-a-like item in the Index could be created for people to discuss this, but I understand that it would be useful to wait until a few more people who are interested in the topic show up.

Re: 1130 topic?

Re: 1130 topic?

denim said:
I'm going to change my 1130 home page to point to this discussion board.

It might be good to see if an 1130-a-like item in the Index could be created for people to discuss this, but I understand that it would be useful to wait until a few more people who are interested in the topic show up.

Saw your 1130.net web page - well done. I too have worked on these from time to time and yes they don't understand the size of just the basic unit let alone the peripherals.

Functionality wise, it sounds like an unit in desperate need of re-implenting with modern technology as an one chip system. :wink:

Back