• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Info on OKI 896FP DOT Matrix. Is it Japanese Domestic Market?

LorneinCanada

Experienced Member
So been searching for info on this printer. Can't even find a pic of it out there. I'm starting to wonder if its JDM or made for some country that has 100 volt mains. Was hoping to finding a manual and some idea of what part number ribbon cart would fit. I tried looking for a driver in Win XP and found nothing. I don't have an idea what years it was produced. The front panel is in English though. Kinda strange.

Attachments

• 100_1270.JPG
    100_1270.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1275.JPG
    100_1275.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 12
Crap. Specialty Govn stuff.... Sounds like something I don't even want to be in possession of.

Oh, I don't know. Oki dot matrix printers are pretty well-made. Since it's part of the Microline series, it likely speaks the same protocol as the rest of the line. USB and serial connections--worth a shot. Given the 100V nameplate rating, it's definitely domestic Japanese consumption only.

Oh, I don't know. Oki dot matrix printers are pretty well-made. Since it's part of the Microline series, it likely speaks the same protocol as the rest of the line. USB and serial connections--worth a shot. Given the 100V nameplate rating, it's definitely domestic Japanese consumption only.
Maybe I'll strip out the stepper motor and use it to servo drive a mechanical / electrical clock drive ;-)
Ya the control panel says thick pass book thin pass book. Starting to sound like ex Govn stuff. I think it needs to be broken down or just plain got rid of quick. It does not look like its set up for tractor fanfold paper anyways.

Have you tried just plugging it into a windows 10 system? I'm curious what the hardware ID's that the drivers are reporting themselves to be are. I'm curious if Windows just autoloads a driver for it.

Have you tried just plugging it into a windows 10 system? I'm curious what the hardware ID's that the drivers are reporting themselves to be are. I'm curious if Windows just autoloads a driver for it.
Its a good idea. Do I have a windows 10 PC thats still working? Hmmm Do I have one with a serial or Parallel? I have USB to serial/parallel. But then will the PC be seeing the adapter or the printer. Bunch of things to figure out. But yes your idea is pretty much what I thought of earlier but all I have to plug into is win XP. And it was via a usb thingy. I'll try plugging it into tower via serial direct. Ahhhh 100v 120 v its not likely to catch fire is it? I think we are 116v last time I checked..... Could be wrong.

If it's nameplate 100V, US/Canadian 120V will work just fine. It's marked 100V because it's for domestic consumption, but the power supply can easily accommodate 120VAC.

So with USB cord it automatically shows up as, OKI DATA CORP ML896FP
I tried loading a piece of paper from the back. It took it when I cycled the power switch. And it is still blinking paper end on the printer. There is no ribbon in it either. If I try printing I get a sent to printer message and thats it.

Oh small progress. I asked windows to print test page and nothing happened. Then while i was poking buttons and trying to feed the paper from either side it grabbed the paper from the front and printed the test page. It stamped the card stock paper pretty good. I can clearly read the test without ink.

Not so much luck. It did not auto install. I do not see a specific driver. I tried Microline PS+F V52.3. That did not work. It printed out error codes. So progress. But I need to figure out a ribbon and driver. The newest OS I had planned to use was XP.

Back