• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing MS-DOS on a GRiDCASE 1520

mp3

Hello!

So I have recently come into the possession of a working GRiDCASE 1520. I'm a game console guy, and know next to nothing about vintage computers, so to say I'm out of my element here is an understatement. My current objective is to install a fresh copy of MS-DOS, which has been complicated by the fact that my 1520 didn't come with a floppy for it. I think I managed to find the right image in an archive that was linked in this thread, however I haven't been able to figure out how to write the IMD to a floppy. I would appreciate some guidance as to if I'm even on the right path here, and what I should do.

Apologies for my ignorance, and thanks in advance for any help!

Be aware you need a floppy drive that's compatible with 720kb floppies assuming you don't have a 1.4 meg drive in the 1520.
Most modern floppy drives are NOT compatible with the old format.
If you do have a 720kb drive and capable host drive, you can format 1.4mb floppies as 720kb ones with some scotch tape and command line knowledge.

The Gridcase 1520 is a 286 AT. It came with a 1.44MB floppy, so It should be able to handle HD disks just fine. I've always thought they were really cool laptops.

Back