• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel hex to .ent utility for Sol-20

deramp5113

Veteran Member
I imagine I've re-invented the wheel, but I created a utility to convert Intel hex files to .ent files for the Sol-20. The utility writes each line with just a CR at the end (no LF) so you can transmit .ent files to the Sol-20 at 9600 baud using a 100ms delay per line setting in your terminal emulator. If LFs are present, you have to drop the baud rate down to 1200.

The utility can also be used to strip line feeds from an existing .ent file.

See https://deramp.com/downloads/processor_technology/sol-20/software/hex_to_ent_converter/

Mike D

Based on testing a Model 28 Teletype I'm working on, I just figured out that TeraTerm does not send the LF of a CR/LF ending if the binary option in the "File->Send File..." dialog box is unchecked. This means you can send existing .ent files without having to modify the file to strip LFs if you're on a Windows machine and can use TeraTerm. Without LFs, you can send .ent files at 9600 baud with a 100ms delay per line instead of having to drop to 1200 baud.

Mike D

Based on testing a Model 28 Teletype I'm working on, I just figured out that TeraTerm does not send the LF of a CR/LF ending if the binary option in the "File->Send File..." dialog box is unchecked. This means you can send existing .ent files without having to modify the file to strip LFs if you're on a Windows machine and can use TeraTerm. Without LFs, you can send .ent files at 9600 baud with a 100ms delay per line instead of having to drop to 1200 baud.

Mike D
Maybe, without me even knowing why, this is the reason why I had so much success sending .ent files to my SOL using Tera Term on my vintage HP computer running Windows XP. Tera Term was the only terminal emulator I tried. But in my case I was in no hurry, so I had actually set it up for 1200 baud with a 10mS delay. There were no issues at all. I didn't try the 9600 baud rate, none of the files I had took all that long to load.

Back